Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pin walking on 550b

Been meaning to post this for awhile but I just keep pushing the pin back in

It's the pin on the right side of the ram where the linkage meets up with the ram body.  The pin has an Allen head on it and knurled out side of it.

Am I missing something?  It starts to walk out every 500 rounds or so.  I just push the pin back in but shouldn't it.be captured.on the inside?

That pin is the upper link arm pin. There are two. The left side pin should be solid and the right side is hollow. They are a friction fit on the 550B (they are threaded on the 550C).

This Dillon video on doing a major cleaning and lube of the 550B shows how they are removed and re-installed. In the first photo you link to, it doesn't appear the pin was hammered in fully the last time the press was broken down for cleaning and lube. Just from the gunk on the pin, I'm guessing a good cleaning and lube is long overdue :)

Edited by proximo

I sugest you email Dillon Precision with a photo and your address, and request a replacement pin. The knurling may be marginal on the pin. The smooth surface of the pin needs to be well greased.