Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR trigger springs

I have a JP trigger, but want to get the trigger pull down from 3.5lb to as close to 2lb as possible. To my understanding, the trigger unit has a hammer spring, trigger return spring and disconnector spring. Which of these, if replaced with a lighter spring, would reduce the trigger weight?

I had expected someone to have answered this, and I was curious about the answer, but it doesn't seem anyone is forthcoming. My suspicion deals with the trigger spring and the disconnector springs since they are the ones bearing directly on the trigger.

Looking on the Wolff Spring website, I see they have a "Trigger Function Pak" having reduced power trigger and disconnector springs.  I've not used these, but it makes me think my thinking was on course.

I hope this may be helpful.

If you try the lighter weight Wolff springs, let us know how they work out for you.

3 hours ago, Guy Neill said:

I had expected someone to have answered this, and I was curious about the answer, but it doesn't seem anyone is forthcoming. My suspicion deals with the trigger spring and the disconnector springs since they are the ones bearing directly on the trigger.

Looking on the Wolff Spring website, I see they have a "Trigger Function Pak" having reduced power trigger and disconnector springs.  I've not used these, but it makes me think my thinking was on course.

I hope this may be helpful.

If you try the lighter weight Wolff springs, let us know how they work out for you.

Yes I figured the same. I ordered a pack of competition springs that contains reduced power versions of all three springs. They claim it can bring the pull weight of a factory AR trigger and hammer down to 2.5lb

Careful going too light on the disconnect spring, and if you go with a light hammer spring you might want to lighten your hammer, or get a lighter hammer in case you don't already have one. The disconnect spring really has nothing to do with trigger pull weight. 

If after changing the hammer spring, you get light strikes on the primer you may want to change to small rifle primers instead on AR primers.

10 hours ago, kurtm said:

Careful going too light on the disconnect spring, and if you go with a light hammer spring you might want to lighten your hammer, or get a lighter hammer in case you don't already have one. The disconnect spring really has nothing to do with trigger pull weight. 

It's going into a JP modular trigger unit so I assume the hammer is already a light version.