Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SCSA - Did Not Finish (DNF) scoring

Hoops

What is the scenario for taking a DNF score on a stage?

If my gun optic falls off on stage 1 at the Make Ready and I don’t get it fixed until the squad moved to the second stage, do I have the option to take a DNF on stage 1?

If I’m shooting a RFRO and PCCO in same match and my lower back begins to hurt, could I decide on any stage to only shoot RFRO and take a DNF for that stage for PCCO?

Im not gaming.  I’m recovering from lower back surgeries (multiple) and want to try my RFRO and PCCO in same match if my back will hold up.  I can envision this scenario happening and I’m not clear on rules for DNF.

DNF = Did not Fire

DNF is for an entire stage; it essentially equals getting a 30 on every string, but without firing.  If you took a shot and then gun breaks you get 30s and not a DNF.  You can DNF on any stages;  

- scenario 1 ; yes ; and then can resume shooting on stage 2;  

- scenario 2 ; yes ;  if you gun were to break or become unreliable on stage 2; you would just DNF for each remaining stage in that division as an example;  I've done this with RFPO myself when stuff just not working right;  Not worth the aggravation to keep shooting it; 

Edited by jrdoran

8 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

DNF = Did not Fire

DNF is for an entire stage; it essentially equals getting a 30 on every string, but without firing.  If you took a shot and then gun breaks you get 30s and not a DNF.  You can DNF on any stages;  

- scenario 1 ; yes ; and then can resume shooting on stage 2;  

- scenario 2 ; yes ;  if you gun were to break or become unreliable on stage 2; you would just DNF for each remaining stage in that division as an example;  I've done this with RFPO myself when stuff just not working right;  Not worth the aggravation to keep shooting it; 

What if I just get tired with the PCCO and then just shoot every other stage with it?

Goofy question but it could be real in my case.  

8 minutes ago, zzt said:

You can DNF any stage you want.  No need to play games with miss stop plate.

Thanks guys.  I understand it now.  Appreciate the responses.  

I don't see DNF described in the rulebook (Section 9 - Scoring or Appendix A4 - Classification).  It's not even in Appendix A3 - Glossary.

The closest I see in the Steel Challenge rulebook is:

9.2.1 The maximum score for any string is 30 seconds, no matter how many misses or penalties may have been accrued during the string.

It does exist in the USPSA rulebook:

9.10.3  A competitor who reacts to a start signal but for any reason does not fire a shot or continue the attempt at the course of fire and fails to have an official time recorded on the timing device operated by the Range Officer will be given a zero time and zero score for that course of fire. This constitutes a “Did Not Fire”, or DNF for the stage.

So, legally, does DNF even exist for Steel Challenge?

2 hours ago, GKB said:

I don't see DNF described in the rulebook (Section 9 - Scoring or Appendix A4 - Classification).  It's not even in Appendix A3 - Glossary.

The closest I see in the Steel Challenge rulebook is:

9.2.1 The maximum score for any string is 30 seconds, no matter how many misses or penalties may have been accrued during the string.

It does exist in the USPSA rulebook:

9.10.3  A competitor who reacts to a start signal but for any reason does not fire a shot or continue the attempt at the course of fire and fails to have an official time recorded on the timing device operated by the Range Officer will be given a zero time and zero score for that course of fire. This constitutes a “Did Not Fire”, or DNF for the stage.

So, legally, does DNF even exist for Steel Challenge?

I had the same problem.  Where is it?  We both made the same mistake and looked in the rule book.

@jrdoran found it.  Go to Classification Look Up in the SCSA website.  Click the bar Learn More About Our Classification System and read the text.

I see it there.

8.  Stages that have been assigned a default of 30 seconds per string (120 seconds on a 5 string stage, 90 on a 4 string stage) are considered DNFs and are not included in your classification calculation.

I have a problem with "rules" that aren't in the rulebook.  It seems we are getting a lot of these.  (See the discussion on a holstered pistol while shooting rimfire pistol.)

5 hours ago, GKB said:

I have a problem with "rules" that aren't in the rulebook.  It seems we are getting a lot of these.  (See the discussion on a holstered pistol while shooting rimfire pistol.)

I do too.  DNF is on the scoring tablet but I doubt many people really understand it’s application.  The definition should be in the rules.

At the last BOD meeting, they agreed to clean up the holstered pistol while shooting a rimfire pistol issue.  Rimfire pistol will be added to the language with long gun.  New rule went into effect 1/31/24.  

Rulebook posted on the SCSA.ORG website is from May 2023.

If it's not in the rules, it's not a rule.  I've been advising shooters when I RO about the coming rule regarding Rimfire Pistol but not enforcing it.