Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

15-22 MAGS

mchapman

Is anyone aware of other mags  that are available that will work reliable in a 15-22 other than S&W factory mags. I didn't think that I would need anything but the factory mags, but several of mine have been used hard and the plastic feed lips are shot and I thought no big deal I would just replace them with more factory stuff. I have bought several of the black 25 rounders as well as several of the brown 25 rounders and over half of the new mags jamb and won't feed. the follower binds up in the channel even without any ammo in them. I tried two of them with out the load assist button and they still bound up and just the load assist button by its self will bind and stick with no ammo . 

So I am hoping that I can find another alternative to us. I have several different versions of 10-22's but I personally like the 15-22 better.

I noticed that the load assist bar that goes through he follower would sometimes drag so I just removed the load assist button completely and just stick a screwdriver blade in the hole to load the mags. No more drag

2 hours ago, Nile said:

Just buy the Redi-Mag and be done with it.

No modifying mags. No hassle. It just works.

It looks like it will work to be able to use s&w mags in a standard ar-15, but that is not what I'm asking about I am using standard mp 15-22 mags in a s&w 15-22 not a mp 15. that adapter won't solve the problem I am having with the factory mags malfunctioning. But Thanks

11 hours ago, mchapman said:

Is anyone aware of other mags  that are available that will work reliable in a 15-22 other than S&W factory mags. I didn't think that I would need anything but the factory mags, but several of mine have been used hard and the plastic feed lips are shot and I thought no big deal I would just replace them with more factory stuff. I have bought several of the black 25 rounders as well as several of the brown 25 rounders and over half of the new mags jamb and won't feed. the follower binds up in the channel even without any ammo in them. I tried two of them with out the load assist button and they still bound up and just the load assist button by its self will bind and stick with no ammo . 

So I am hoping that I can find another alternative to us. I have several different versions of 10-22's but I personally like the 15-22 better.

A friend of mine had similar problem.  When we looked down the narrow side, there was a slight bow/twist/warp.  This was creating friction.  He sent them back under warranty claim.  Rare, but could be.  

I've gone through too many 15-22 mags.  The main point of failure I see is the polymer mag lips start to widen which leads to failures to feed.  The standard test is to load a few rounds (doesn't have to be the whole mag) and push the nose of the bullet up.  If it pivots 90 degrees to stand straight up, it's time to chuck the mag.  Keep the spring and follower as backups (I have had a spring snap on me.)

I haven't had binding issues (out of about 40 mags).  However, when I first buy them I disassemble, brush the inside with a mag brush, and lube the follower and spring with a silicone spray.  

After EVERY match I clean the top of the mag, feedlips, and the follower with a paper towel and a Q-tip type swab.  Rimfire is very dirty and cleaning each time helps prevent buildup.  Every 10 or so matches I'll do the full disassembly and cleaning of the mags like when I first get them.

Observation 1:  The FDE material seems to be softer than the black mags material and seem to go bad faster.

Observation 2:  The 10 rounders may be a bit stiffer than the 25s and last longer.  I'm still working through my first batch of 10.

There was an excellent aftermarket 40 rd mag with metal feedlips.  S&W hit them wit a cease-and-desist and they are now out of business.  It would be nice to have an aftermarket option.  The only one I know of uses a S&W 10 round body to feed a drum mag.  Since they are using a S&W part, they can get away with it.

1 hour ago, GKB said:

I've gone through too many 15-22 mags.  The main point of failure I see is the polymer mag lips start to widen which leads to failures to feed.  The standard test is to load a few rounds (doesn't have to be the whole mag) and push the nose of the bullet up.  If it pivots 90 degrees to stand straight up, it's time to chuck the mag.  Keep the spring and follower as backups (I have had a spring snap on me.)

I haven't had binding issues (out of about 40 mags).  However, when I first buy them I disassemble, brush the inside with a mag brush, and lube the follower and spring with a silicone spray.  

After EVERY match I clean the top of the mag, feedlips, and the follower with a paper towel and a Q-tip type swab.  Rimfire is very dirty and cleaning each time helps prevent buildup.  Every 10 or so matches I'll do the full disassembly and cleaning of the mags like when I first get them.

Observation 1:  The FDE material seems to be softer than the black mags material and seem to go bad faster.

Observation 2:  The 10 rounders may be a bit stiffer than the 25s and last longer.  I'm still working through my first batch of 10.

There was an excellent aftermarket 40 rd mag with metal feedlips.  S&W hit them wit a cease-and-desist and they are now out of business.  It would be nice to have an aftermarket option.  The only one I know of uses a S&W 10 round body to feed a drum mag.  Since they are using a S&W part, they can get away with it.

Are you hand loading are using a speed loader?  I have found the pistol grip speed loaders to wear out the feed lips.  Now I only hand load but 2 rounds at time to insure that staggered stack is consistent.  I’ve had better life out of the mag.  

58 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Are you hand loading are using a speed loader?

I hand loaded 25 rd mags, but I didn't have to load after every stage.  I switched to a McFadden Lightening Loader when I switched to 10s.

1 hour ago, GKB said:

I hand loaded 25 rd mags, but I didn't have to load after every stage.  I switched to a McFadden Lightening Loader when I switched to 10s.

When I was shooting my 15-22 (6 stages matches) I pre-loaded 12 mags.  I probably have shot these mags less than the previous ones I wore out because I switched to 10-22 platform.  Occasionally (maybe twice a year) I’ll shoot the 15-22 and so far the 12 I have run okay.

But I totally get the frustration with the 25 rd feed lips.

I cant find these mags anywhere! I can find a mag for just about everything accept M&P 15-22 which is sad. I would think Smith & Wesson would be making more of them considering they also are now selling the 15-22 pistol. 

1 hour ago, Riddle said:

I cant find these mags anywhere! I can find a mag for just about everything accept M&P 15-22 which is sad. I would think Smith & Wesson would be making more of them considering they also are now selling the 15-22 pistol. 

try this link for mags.  I usually find things on gun.deals.com  decent options

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/022188141603

On 2/2/2024 at 6:59 PM, GKB said:

While handy, I have found that using the McFadden loader accelerates the wear on the end of the feed lips, I use the loader on practice mags but never on my match mags.

I do use the McFaden loader, with that said, I can take the new mags that I'm having issues with and just put 10-15 rounds in or less, then grab the load assist and pull it down and it hangs up. I tried with out the load assist button and they seemed to be free except when I tried to run them they would still hang up. I have taken them apart and cleaned and tried dry and lubed with silicone dry spray and they still didn't work then I put in just the load assist button without the spring and follower and the button hangs up and sticks. My conclusion is that the mag body is just out of spect and are defective, getting one like that  I understand that things can happen, but when you get about 5 or 6 that do this and I have another friend that has had 2 of the black ones do the same thing. They got a smith return label and eventually got his replaced. I was going to do that after I ordered more replacements but some of the replacements had issues just the same. So I have several that are new and will not work, I will try to contact smith and see what they  have to say but not holding my breath that any they replace will work.

Edited by mchapman

I had some that were visibly warped and some that split apart some at the joint between the 2 halves. I called S&W and they had no problem replacing them but I think it took 6 or 7 weeks so you getting some new ones first is a good idea.