Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA ultra pro match .40 to 9mm for LO

I have a .40 pro ultra match from rock island that I want to convert to 9mm. I’m not sure what slides fit this gun. I was looking at buying one from hooper gun works but there are many options. I’m also not too familiar with the different styles of barrels out there. Can anybody give me a few pointers here to steer me in the right direction 

7357.jpeg

You're looking at new barrel, new slide and new mags + gunsmithing.  Maybe better off getting a complete pistol in 9mm and going from there.

Because it's a Para clone, it takes Clark/Para ramped barrels, which may need to be fit to the slide and frame.  Any random 1911 slide may or may not need to be fit to the frame.  1911 parts mostly aren't fully interchangeable unless you want a rattle-trap.

My buddy has the double stave RIA.  He bought a whole new top end for it.  Fits right on 

edit.  A stock RIA upper 

Edited by Zachjet

On 1/26/2024 at 10:24 AM, Zachjet said:

My buddy has the double stave RIA.  He bought a whole new top end for it.  Fits right on 

edit.  A stock RIA upper 

Any idea where he bought the upper for his? I would love to just get a barrel ejector and slide all in one go. The mags are probably going to be an easier find for me

Edited by Thomas918
Spelling

I am not sure you won't be better off just buying a new rock Island in 9mm. I just looked on buds and they were between 750-1000 for a double stack gun depending on what options you want. 

17 hours ago, Thomas918 said:

Any idea where he bought the upper for his? I would love to just get a barrel ejector and slide all in one go. The mags are probably going to be an easier find 

RIA sells kit, but again you will have to fit the parts on to the frame. Don't do anything to your frame, always fit the slide to the frame not other way around. 

I have a 9mm and now have a 40 and 10mm slide for it. 

https://www.hoopergunworks.com/product-category/1911-parts/build-kits/

Edited by haveatank

5 hours ago, haveatank said:

RIA sells kit, but again you will have to fit the parts on to the frame. Don't do anything to your frame, always fit the slide to the frame not other way around. 

I have a 9mm and now have a 40 and 10mm slide for it. 

https://www.hoopergunworks.com/product-category/1911-parts/build-kits/

Awesome. So did you just have to shave a little bit on the rails or use a polishing/lapping compound to get them to fit nicely? My frame was cerakoted so it is already very tight so I’m wondering how much I will need to take off the slide. 

23 hours ago, RJH said:

I am not sure you won't be better off just buying a new rock Island in 9mm. I just looked on buds and they were between 750-1000 for a double stack gun depending on what options you want. 

$350 for an upper end and then $60 per mag($22 mecgar tube plus spring and extension) is still cheaper than a newer gun. I’m a broke boy right now. I wish I could swing it and get a new gun altogether but I’m trying to pay off my pole building sooner than later. 

On 2/2/2024 at 4:53 PM, Thomas918 said:

Awesome. So did you just have to shave a little bit on the rails or use a polishing/lapping compound to get them to fit nicely? My frame was cerakoted so it is already very tight so I’m wondering how much I will need to take off the slide. 

I used lapping compound on the slide. If you can get a jig for it do that. I used ny gun and i had no problem if you are on of does people that needs for it to be tight you wont have that. I have zero problems with all my slides. 

This is a video with the 9mm slide 

https://rumble.com/v45knp6-2024-uspsa-january-colonial-rpc-dan-limited-uspsaipsc-unloadshowclear.html

This is a video with the 40sw slide, started on Stage 5 and by the time i got to the last stage everything was all broken in.

https://rumble.com/v2zgo3b-uspsa-colonial-rpc-2023-july-match-dan-limited-ipsc-unloadshowclear-competi.html

3 hours ago, haveatank said:

I used lapping compound on the slide. If you can get a jig for it do that. I used ny gun and i had no problem if you are on of does people that needs for it to be tight you wont have that. I have zero problems with all my slides. 

This is a video with the 9mm slide 

https://rumble.com/v45knp6-2024-uspsa-january-colonial-rpc-dan-limited-uspsaipsc-unloadshowclear.html

This is a video with the 40sw slide, started on Stage 5 and by the time i got to the last stage everything was all broken in.

https://rumble.com/v2zgo3b-uspsa-colonial-rpc-2023-july-match-dan-limited-ipsc-unloadshowclear-competi.html

Nice runs. It’s fun having a heavy frame to use for both A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want and major. I’m gonna go cheap and get a dovetail mount for a dot to use with the 9mm slide so I can see how she runs for LO. I’m sure all that weight will help dissipate recoil. If it’s something I really like for LO I may get the slide milled for a SRO. I run a canik rival for LO and it does great but a light 1911 single action trigger may be a nice advantage.

edit: idk why my post was autocorrected to say all window licker and crayon stuff lol. I guess I can’t say m*inor and m*jor

Edited by Thomas918

20 hours ago, Thomas918 said:

edit: idk why my post was autocorrected to say all window licker and crayon stuff lol. I guess I can’t say m*inor and m*jor

Lol

This is one of the kits

SmartSelect_20230301_110008_eBay.jpg

Edited by haveatank

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, haveatank said:

It the same thing. 

Except for trigger, mag catch, grips and the like, sure.   I guess if you're buying that kit to convert a hicap 40 to 9 you probably already have those.

• 1 month later...

I converted my 10mm RIA single stack to shoot 9mm by fitting a Kart exact fit 9mm bull barrel and fitted a different extractor,...it runs perfectly smooth and is very accurate...it will also run with the 10mm extractor...the breach face on the .40/10 isn't much different than the 9mm. just as long as the extractor hooks the rim, and the barrel is fit to the lugs and slide stop, then you're good to go.  it's a really easy process...lemme know if you want pics or more info on how I did it...cheers!