Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 10mm advice needed

I bought this before I even cared about competition. I saw a sale, and that was it. I started using it in 3 gun, then USPSA. It is not fun in either of those games. Experience people told me to switch to 9mm and I did that and bullets on target went up. I went to get a new glasses prescription and they went up again. Then I switched to a dot and they went up a 3rd time. So why do I want to fool with this 10mm again? It would seem that in my collection of handguns it is an easy way to major power factor (USPSA). If I could tame it. I need a light shooting load that still runs the action. 

45 minutes ago, JoeInTucson said:

I bought this before I even cared about competition. I saw a sale, and that was it. I started using it in 3 gun, then USPSA. It is not fun in either of those games. Experience people told me to switch to 9mm and I did that and bullets on target went up. I went to get a new glasses prescription and they went up again. Then I switched to a dot and they went up a 3rd time. So why do I want to fool with this 10mm again? It would seem that in my collection of handguns it is an easy way to major power factor (USPSA). If I could tame it. I need a light shooting load that still runs the action. 

Not exactly sure what your question is here.

Xdm's are good guns, 10 mm is not good for any games that I know of though. 10 mm is good for hunting, if you like to go hunting, that is. 

So, if you like to hunt, or you just want to shoot 10 mm for fun, keep it and enjoy. If you're looking for an optimum plastic gun for gaming, the XDM is fine for that imo, but in 9 mm or maybe 40 caliber if you are looking for major scoring. Not so much in 10 mm. 

Good luck

47 minutes ago, RJH said:

Not exactly sure what your question is here.

Xdm's are good guns, 10 mm is not good for any games that I know of though. 10 mm is good for hunting, if you like to go hunting, that is. 

So, if you like to hunt, or you just want to shoot 10 mm for fun, keep it and enjoy. If you're looking for an optimum plastic gun for gaming, the XDM is fine for that imo, but in 9 mm or maybe 40 caliber if you are looking for major scoring. Not so much in 10 mm. 

Good luck

That’s kind of what I was thinking……..

lots and lots of 1911/2011 shooters ran 40 at near 10mm length due to the platform being designed around that size.  No reason in Hades you couldnt use that same data in 10 mm cases.. Look in the reloading section and see the older threads about guys running 40 S&W at 1.200 OAL.  Generall with a 180 gr bullet..
Any of the fast burning powders that take up alot of room in the case like Clays, or WST should easily make a soft shooting 170 pf load in a 10mm case. Then it would simply bee a change of recoil springs to get the gun to run.. I would start with a 14 lb spring..

Now what would be really cool would be finding a 40 barrel that would go in this gun, and throated to the tons of long loaded 40 I already have. 

42 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Now what would be really cool would be finding a 40 barrel that would go in this gun, and throated to the tons of long loaded 40 I already have. 

There's about a 99.9% chance you could just put your 40 That's loaded long directly in a 10 XDM and shoot it. More than one person has loaded factory 40 cal in a 10 mm XDM and shot it with no issues

3 hours ago, RJH said:

There's about a 99.9% chance you could just put your 40 That's loaded long directly in a 10 XDM and shoot it. More than one person has loaded factory 40 cal in a 10 mm XDM and shot it with no issues

headspace on extractor i would assume, I really like the XDM's although dont have much experience with any other poly gun. Still searching for a 45.. See a couple of the smaller ones but wanted the 5" adjustable sight model

12 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

headspace on extractor i would assume, I really like the XDM's although dont have much experience with any other poly gun. Still searching for a 45.. See a couple of the smaller ones but wanted the 5" adjustable sight model

Yeah, it would head to space on the extractor

I think a local pawn shop has one of the 45s or at least did, but I don't think they ship, so it would probably be a long drive for you LOL

@JoeInTucson Pretty easy to download it. A fast powder like Clays, e3, ClayDot works well. I haven’t tested Sport pistol yet but with around 4.0g e3 behind a 155-175 coated they run around 850-950 from my 5.25. I have to look but I may have some in the 750 range too. They function fine too even though I have a 20lb recoil spring installed. (Stock is #18) The 10mm is a pretty versatile round. 

Edited by Farmer
Spell