Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Auto Ordinance 1991 US Army

Hello,

I have a 1911 that is a clone of the ones used by the military. The trigger is nice, but the sights are "military". I thought it might be neat to have some single-stack fun with it. Has anybody ever shot this type of sight well in action pistol competition? 

10-8 performance makes an improved national match rear sight that will fit the military dovetail.

For the front sights you can use paint or nail polish to make it more visible.

To change front sights you'll need either a wide or narrow tenon replacement depending on which style they used.  There is a square hole in the top of the slide, the front sights drops in and then it gets opened in place. 

Auto-Ordnance guns have been used for a lot of great builds, most notably those Steel Challenge guns that Chip McCormick shot back in the late-80s/early-90s.  I built a number of them back in those days when a Single-Stack 45 or 38 Super was competitive in Open Division.

Being cast guns, they CAN be hit-or-miss, but I have found them to be mostly within spec.  Occasionally, a cast gun can get the hammer and sear pin holes drilled askew.  That makes a good trigger job practically impossible to achieve.  But that is rare with A-O's.