Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The dreaded DQ

RangerTrace

Had my 2nd DQ in 16 years tonight at an indoor USPSA match.  Somehow as a lefty, I managed to get my finger in the trigger guard during a retreat/reload and barked one off.  Thankfully it was in a safe direction and nobody was hurt.  

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

Had my 2nd DQ in 16 years tonight at an indoor USPSA match.  Somehow as a lefty, I managed to get my finger in the trigger guard during a retreat/reload and barked one off.  Thankfully it was in a safe direction and nobody was hurt.  

My second dq was for the same thing. Also a lefty

Basically when I seated the mag, I curled my trigger finger into the trigger guard. Luckily the bullet then go anywhere that hurt anybody. 

Thinking back on it, I kind of think there's a natural tendency to curl the trigger finger and unfortunately it happens to end up in the trigger guard. Then when you seat the mag and decide to grip the gun there's a little bit of sympathetic movement of the trigger finger that can possibly cause this if you're not paying attention. Luckily I've only had it happen once in 18ish years of shooting, but it can happen

On 1/16/2024 at 10:57 PM, RJH said:

My second dq was for the same thing. Also a lefty

Basically when I seated the mag, I curled my trigger finger into the trigger guard. Luckily the bullet then go anywhere that hurt anybody. 

Thinking back on it, I kind of think there's a natural tendency to curl the trigger finger and unfortunately it happens to end up in the trigger guard. Then when you seat the mag and decide to grip the gun there's a little bit of sympathetic movement of the trigger finger that can possibly cause this if you're not paying attention. Luckily I've only had it happen once in 18ish years of shooting, but it can happen

I think my bigger issue what using a 24 round MBX mag that takes a firm hit to seat.  From now on, I will start with those fully loaded, but won't reload to one.