Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shot timers vs shot timer apps?

Kravi

So I've been using a Pocket Pro II for a couple of years now, and it works just fine. But with four buttons, it is kinda annoying to navigate, and it is worse to configure (somethings, anyway). 

I figure that smartphone apps would have the advantage of being way easier to read and configure, but I haven't tried one in several years. Are any of them yet as capable as the physical shot timers? And if so, which ones? Or are they still "meh" and just not very good?

Cheers,

Adam

I primarily use it for live fire because it is a PITA to play with the sensitivity on this thing. I'd like to conveniently use it for both, of course.

Cheers,

Adam

EDIT: If there is a decent shot timer app for dry fire, that would be sufficient for me. I'll continue to use my pocket pro ii at the range, and use the app for dry fire. Thoughts?

Edited by Kravi

I messed around with a few of the cell phone shot timer apps several years back and found they were not very reliable so I went and bought a shot timer. Maybe times have changed and they have gotten more reliable, I don't know.

I will say if all you want is par time for dry fire then you can probably make due with an app.

22 hours ago, LHshooter said:

I will say if all you want is par time for dry fire then you can probably make due with an app.

I agree with this. There are apps that will give a solid part time, but if you really want look at split times and use that data for training theres no substitute for a shot timer. 

Yeah, I haven't had any issues with my Pocket Pro II picking up shots at all. I just don't like the ass-pain (am I allowed to say that on this forum?) of adjusting it for specific tasks. 

Maybe I'll try an app for dry fire and see how that goes. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

For dry fire, I'm a fan of the Dry Practice Drill app.

It makes dry fire way less tedious, as you can set it up to do multiple reps, and even multiple strings with descending par times, so you start your drill, and don't have to constantly reset a timer for each rep.

For good phones:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details/Dry_Practice_Drill?id=com.sartuga.android.drypractice&hl=en_US

For overpriced crappy phones:  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dry-practice-drill/id828121161