Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Briley Spherical Bushings

Behr

I've broken 2 Briley Spherical bushings in about 8k rounds and am wondering if I have something wrong causing the breaks or if it's just the design. The gun is 45 para frame, springfield top. Mostly shooting 200 H&G bullets around a 180 PF with a 18 lb recoil spring w/ 1 shok buff. Spherical ring is .001" bigger than OD of barrel per recommendation.

Both breaks were in the same area of the bushing, on the bushing where the ring fits into.

Any ideas?

I guess I'm mostly curious at this point because I think I'm just going to have a regular bushing fit and be done with it.

Barry

Ahhh I think you guys have pointed me in the right direction. I won't be able to check it 'til tomorrow though. I've just been taking the recoil springs out of the package and putting them in the gun. And I am running a full length guide rod.

After cruising the forum I'm going to try a lighter recoil spring too. Me thinks I was old school thinking on that.

Just checked the stacking/binding of the recoil spring. No problem there. I'm going with Phil and chalking it up to a design issue. I guess I find out if I'm wrong after a bit with the new "normal" bushing.

Barry