Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3rd Gen Belts (aka Tegris)

Kravi

So the classical competition belts are still incredibly common here, and are often recommended to folks (like me) getting into USPSA. I've been shooting 2gun for a little over a year and a half, and am about to start competing in USPSA as well. In 2gun, we seem to trend towards more "tactical / tacticool" stuff, and in USPSA the trends is clearly to efficiency and competitive value. And no, I'm not debating the merits of one versus the other. But this leads me to my question.

The most comfortable belt I've ever worn to support a holster and magazines is my Bison belt, which in the tactical world is called a "3rd gen" belt. It has great vertical stability, but is soft and conforming around the body (no dreaded "o" shape). Why don't we see belts like that in the competition world? It may not sound like much, but when I switched from a Ronin belt to a Bison belt (I dropped 55 lbs in 4 months and needed new gear), the difference was crazy. At the end of a 7 hour match, I still felt comfortable (my hips, anyway, the plate carrier is still fatiguing).

It is at the point that I'm probably going to get another Bison belt for competition and run a competition holster and mag pouches on it. Unless there is a specific gap I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

Adam

EDIT: No, I don't work for Ferro Concepts. I don't have any financial incentive to promote their belt. I just really like it and find it both comfortable and stable.

Edited by Kravi

Question has the answer I think.  Do you want to be comfy or do you want the highest performace?  They usually don't go together.  How much do you care about looking 'tacticool' vs "gamer"?

I run wide, wanna say 2 inch duty belts,, looks like basically the same thing, although mine are tan OD or black. went basket weave for my revolver set up. You will be limited on gear. Alot of stuff is made for 1.5" belts. I put the buckle in the back so I have smooth area for mags or moonclip holders.  Use what works for you... Its just a belt, its not gonna make much of a difference on the clock. 

Edit,,, $215 ? GTFOH,,  Its a nylon belt with an inner plastic core. Get a Goulds or Bianchi, 

Edited by Joe4d

9 hours ago, shred said:

Question has the answer I think.  Do you want to be comfy or do you want the highest performace?  They usually don't go together.  How much do you care about looking 'tacticool' vs "gamer"?

Well, that is assuming that the 3rd generation belts don't perform as well as the older style competition belts. And I'm guessing not too many people have tried both.

EDIT: I don't care about how I look, to be clear. If you ever met me, that would be clear! I care about performing, but I find that if I am comfortable, I tend to perform better.

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I run wide, wanna say 2 inch duty belts,, looks like basically the same thing, although mine are tan OD or black. went basket weave for my revolver set up. You will be limited on gear. Alot of stuff is made for 1.5" belts. I put the buckle in the back so I have smooth area for mags or moonclip holders.  Use what works for you... Its just a belt, its not gonna make much of a difference on the clock. 

Edit,,, $215 ? GTFOH,,  Its a nylon belt with an inner plastic core. Get a Goulds or Bianchi, 

I almost spit out my tea when I read your "edit". Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. But I will say, after two days in a row of wearing full kit (plate carrier, war belt, helmet, etc and throwing 55lb kettlebells around, it really made me appreciate the quality things of life that makes me less miserable! And wearing it monthly these days, my lower back feels better, my hips feel better, my everything feels better, despite being older. So yeah, it is worth it for tactical competitions. 

I'll probably end up trying a DAA belt and comparing it to my Bison, but we'll see.

Cheers,

Adam

Edited by Kravi

kit.... lol,,  term just cracks me up... Kinda reminds me of "tactical" ohh then "operator"  

Never  had to wear all that stuff or throw 55 lb kettlebells around at a shooting match...

Aaaaah. I'm a dual citizen, I'm afraid, and spent my twenties (ages ago, it feels like) living overseas. So I picked up a lot of "British English" working and traveling around Europe and Asia. I thought it was just the usual term for "crap" or "junk" or "stuff" or even "gear".... Folks I work with in the DOD also use the term KIT all the time, but I guess that backs up your comment.

As for the Brutality matches, you don't know what you are missing! 

Are you looking for gear to do well at USPSA or some sort of Tactical Games?  Big differences there.

Your OP said you wanted to get into USPSA.  If you want to know what's the most competitive there, see what the winners are using.  The people at the top are always trying new things to find an edge.  You may or may not notice the difference at whatever level you are.

If you want to compete in kettle-bell tossing with shooting mixed in, get whatever the winners there use.  It's not likely to be the same gear because the needs are very different for either sport. 

Same reason Football, Baseball and Soccer players all wear different shoes even though sometimes they all play on the same patch of dirt.

@shredI guess I was posting without context.

I'm already doing tactical games stuff and am quite comfortable with my gear for that. Right now I'm looking to get into USPSA for the competitive side and explore that angle of shooting. So I'm not trying to impose my understanding of tactical shooting on USPSA which is a very different animal. I'm approaching USPSA as a total noob and accept that it is different thinking, different gear and different style, and that is why I am interested.

That being said, if I've found a belt that is just as vertically rigid as a competition belt but more comfortable, why wouldn't I think about using that? At least until it proves it is somehow unequal to the task - if that happens. So I guess my question is one of "how much overlap is there between the gear built for tactical shooting (for lack of a better term) and the competition sport world?" I know that tactical guys have borrowed a lot from the competition world but wasn't sure if it occasionally went the other way.

I'd guess about 10-20% of the Tactical-Games / Run-n-Gun folks around here also shoot USPSA.   A bigger percentage shoot 3-gun, so there's enough crossover that something magic isn't likely to be hiding in either place.

If it works for you, run it until it holds you back.  Then get something else.  A DAA Lynx belt costs around $50 depending on waist size and if you have an underbelt.