Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BITE Grips

I've been using the SSI BITE grips since they came out.  I also use the SSI DSP BITE grips: https://shootingsportsinnovations.com/1911-dsp-bite-grips/

After a year of testing both grips on several 1911s (9mm minor, 40 S&W major, 22 LR), I personally prefer the DSP grips.

Pros/Cons?

BITE Grips:

• Pretty much zero "break in" - put them on and use them.
  • If there's a "hot spot" somewhere, the pigment goes all the way through the grip so you can sand/file that area.
  • Even after getting rid of "hot spots", my hand shape causes these grips to create blisters on my strong hand ring and pinky fingers. (FYI, I broke the metacarpals of both of those fingers many years ago and they didn't mend right) 
  • I like these grips on my 22 LR 1911s!

DSP BITE Grips:

• Some break-in, but not much - I used a fine file to take down the grit a little above and behind the right side of the mag release so the sharp grit doesn't cut the palm of my hand at the base of my trigger finger when I draw.
  • You have to replace the grip tape when it wears out - I'm about to change mine for the first time on my primary gun and it's not even totally worn out; it is just thinning where I press the meat of my support hand palm into the left grip.
  • I like these grips on my 9mm and 40 S&W 1911s!

I am right handed and Single Stack is my primary division, so my primary gun probably got close to 10k match rounds through it last year in USPSA and Steel Challenge-type matches, with additional practice rounds through it and my backups. 

Both accept tungsten weights so you can tune the weight/balance of your 1911, which is a very nice feature!

Both are also cut for Techwell magwells, if that's your thing.

Pattern on my hands during dryfire:

image.png.6db14d63f645c93d60f128dceefbf93b.png

Blisters under the callouses on my hands after a Steve Anderson class last year:  

image.thumb.png.ae3aa169f7f1cffeabb73ead80ba4e68.png

Let me know if you have questions or if you'd like any more photos, such as the DSP grips after almost a year of use on my primary gun (still the old tape) or DSP grips with brand new tape on my backup gun, etc.

I like the looks of these. After years and thousands of grip mods done all over the world, these are the ticket for a 1911.  SSI is a great company to deal with and has supported the industry for many years.