Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding the dot - a change worked for me

I've been working on my time to first shot from the draw. Mostly because my club matches are where the first shot usually never requires a move.  When I started USPSA from scratch this past April, my draw/shot times were 2.5-2.75 seconds. 

Today they're about 1.25 and this week, my dry fire practice put my in the sub 1 second club at .85 - .90 average.

The change.  (right handed)

B4. Both hands below belt, beep, draw and support hand comes to gun shortly after it clears the holster. Gun moves forward and up at about 45 degree angle to eye-height.

Now. Beep, support hand comes up flat to chest, like a reverse hand over heart, meets gun there and then I press out. During the press out I will usually see dot on target before I'm fully extended.   I probably should have done this from the get-go but it's something that has improved for me greatly.

4 hours ago, flyinverted said:

Now. Beep, support hand comes up flat to chest, like a reverse hand over heart, meets gun there and then I press out. During the press out I will usually see dot on target before I'm fully extended.   I probably should have done this from the get-go but it's something that has improved for me greatly.

I too struggle with seeing the dot during the press out, in fact I almost never do which obviously delays my first shot.

2 questions- do you bring your LH essentially against your chest or away several inches? Do you press out the whole way at eye level or do you come out at an arc? Thanks

My LH comes up an inch or so away from chest, joins grip and presses straight 

out to eye level. I pick up dot at full extension. the dot is almost always right on

the target. If not I put in more dryfire time until it is. Its funny whenever i lose

the dot during a stage its always because I dont have arms fully extended. So

if/when I lose dot, I push out to full extension and what do you know, there it

is.

That's the way I learned it way back when. Don't swing the gun up to your sight line (known as bowling) or down to your sight line (known as fishing or Zebco). Doing it properly, the learning curve to find the dot is very short.

On 12/21/2023 at 8:05 AM, LHshooter said:

Hey Ldrider, thanks for the info. I'm going to try your method and see if I get positive results.

Hopefuly you can make that method your own. It should work for you and its easy to redefine with a little practice. I was shown this so many years ago I dont

remember who should get credit for it. Might also use this as a start for strong hand/ weak hand. Easy to transfer gun to weak hand at chest then push out. Also keeps your weak hand near chest so you dont sweep it while shooting strong hand. Good Luck

• 3 months later...

this definitely makes sense to me something else that i saw mentioned keeping the gun ever so sightly nose up untill almost as full press-out and watching that front sight throughout the process and as the press comes to a close and the node of the gun comes parallel the the ground the dot always seems to appear where it needs to.