Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automating the Apex 10!

And the adventure begins!

Just finished resetting the shell plate indexing, and considering an alternate location for the tablet.  Having the press/autodrive in this config, with the tablet in the conventional location, definitely puts a strain on the power and usb cables!

I did order the HD tablet mounting kit that will give me even more placement options!

Next is installing the Primer Orientation Sensor, digital Powder Sense, and finally Bullet Sense!

So far, setup has been simple using the included Manual; and if necessary any of the vast online resources.  I did disconnect the MBF and remove the powder measure in anticipation of removing the tool head for installation of the POS.

:cheers:

Tablet Relocation.png

3 minutes ago, pmspaul said:

How long did you run the Apex 10 manually before going automated?  I'm expecting my Apex 10 to arrive in the next week or so and can definitely see going the automated route sometime next year.

Right at 1 year...........definitely glad I operated it manually as this allowed me to learn all the "quirks"/settings/maintenance it likes; especially with the priming system!

FWIW, I do single pass loading with pre-processed, same headstamp brass.  Definitely makes operation easier; but is not "mandatory" vs using mixed headstamp range brass.  IMO, ANY brass needs to have reasonable prep, before use, in most progressive presses.

👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 8:59 AM, HOGRIDER said:

IMO, ANY brass needs to have reasonable prep, before use, in most progressive presses.

👍

What kind of prep are you doing for yours?  With the Hornady press I had just been wet tumbling and then running single pass from there. I’m considering going to wet tumble and roll size, but interested to hear what others processes are. 

4 hours ago, pmspaul said:

What kind of prep are you doing for yours?  With the Hornady press I had just been wet tumbling and then running single pass from there. I’m considering going to wet tumble and roll size, but interested to hear what others processes are. 

@pmspaulUsed to spend a lot of time wet cleaning and sorting my brass.  Few years ago a poster here recommended someone that sells FULLY pre-process/roll sized brass; and also offers it in same headstamp.  So I went that route and never looked back.  Great person to do business with!

IMO, doing single pass loading is so much smoother and consistent based on many years with Dillons; and now the Apex 10! If I were still doing my own processing, I would definitely be using a roll sizer.  Not saying it's a must have; but definitely makes single pass processing easier going through the machine with excellent consistency.

👍

I initially bought a manual Apex 10, which I used for approx. 3 months, to get to know the press, before automating it and adding sensors one by one (digital powder check, Primer Express, bullet sense, electronic powder drop, etc.). What a dream to reload ammo. 

10 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

@pmspaulUsed to spend a lot of time wet cleaning and sorting my brass.  Few years ago a poster here recommended someone that sells FULLY pre-process/roll sized brass; and also offers it in same headstamp.  So I went that route and never looked back.  Great person to do business with!

IMO, doing single pass loading is so much smoother and consistent based on many years with Dillons; and now the Apex 10! If I were still doing my own processing, I would definitely be using a roll sizer.  Not saying it's a must have; but definitely makes single pass processing easier going through the machine with excellent consistency.

👍

I could argue that by buying fully processed brass that you are not really doing single pass reloading. Buying that processed brass is basically buying the first pass. And then you are performing the second pass yourself.

But I quibble! Good luck with the new automation! I'm a little out of date at this point with one of the old Ammobots but if it ever craps out (when it craps out) I will most likely be buying a Mark 7 to replace it on the 1100.

24 minutes ago, ddc said:

I could argue that by buying fully processed brass that you are not really doing single pass reloading. Buying that processed brass is basically buying the first pass. And then you are performing the second pass yourself.

But I quibble! Good luck with the new automation! I'm a little out of date at this point with one of the old Ammobots but if it ever craps out (when it craps out) I will most likely be buying a Mark 7 to replace it on the 1100.

I can see your reasoning; however the Apex 10 doesn't know what I'm running since I have all stations set up for un-processed brass.  FW Arms decapper, fully functional hold down/swaging, FL sizing and priming, expander, powder drop w/MBF funnel, digital powder check, MBF, micrometer seater, and finally taper crimp.  

May sound a bit "anal", but I like having this setup!  Plus it's ready, just in case I want to run a batch of unprocessed brass for myself or a friend.....

Have to say that after installing/setting up the autodrive, sensors, and tweaking a few minor settings, the Mark 7 has definitely been a positive investment!

Thanks Don!  ;)

On 12/20/2023 at 8:20 AM, HOGRIDER said:

And the adventure begins!

Just finished resetting the shell plate indexing, and considering an alternate location for the tablet.  Having the press/autodrive in this config, with the tablet in the conventional location, definitely puts a strain on the power and usb cables!

I did order the HD tablet mounting kit that will give me even more placement options!

Next is installing the Primer Orientation Sensor, digital Powder Sense, and finally Bullet Sense!

So far, setup has been simple using the included Manual; and if necessary any of the vast online resources.  I did disconnect the MBF and remove the powder measure in anticipation of removing the tool head for installation of the POS.

:cheers:

Tablet Relocation.png

Love your set up , I have both an Apex 10 and Dillion 1100 that’s automated. Did you have a lot of problems with that set up ? I want to throw my Dillion across the room it’s such a pain in the ass . Also how is that tool head bolt ? Is it worth it 

1 hour ago, Broke82 said:

Love your set up , I have both an Apex 10 and Dillion 1100 that’s automated. Did you have a lot of problems with that set up ? I want to throw my Dillion across the room it’s such a pain in the ass . Also how is that tool head bolt ? Is it worth it 

Having spent right at 2 years with the RL1100, I can say I had my fair share of problems!  And the priming system gave the most problems; even though I was meticulous in keeping it clean and set correctly.  First failure I experienced was with the Priming system during the first 50 rounds I loaded!  Had to wait several days on replacement parts

And after a year operating the Apex10 "manually" I can honestly say it had some primer issues in the beginning also.  However, the press is, IMO, a precision built piece of equipment; and Mark 7's Tech Support is second to none!  A lot of the initial priming issues were also attributable to my lack of familiarity with their rotary priming system vs the Dillon's slide type.  I can honestly say I feel like I have a pretty good handle on how to keep the priming system operating with less than 1% failure rate!  And I strictly use Federal Match primers which are known to be a bit finicky on some machines to begin with......

Having the 10 Station tool head along with and easy upgrade path to a "digital" Autodrive system, I would never consider going back to the RL1100.  I can say there are thousands of satisfied loaders using the Dillon 1000/1050/1100 series successfully.  Since I do "single pass" loading, I can't imagine doing it without the Apex10; and now the Autodrive with digital sensors!

IMO, the optional HD toolhead retaining bolt system is a definite plus in maintaining toolhead stability!  And only takes a few extra minutes to setup/install vs the single bolt system.

My final config.........for now.....  ;)

Final Config.PNG