Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got a ported barrel for my DS9 need a load start point

Bwilmot

IMG_4681.jpeg.35187e06578bf51edef0308975e3f94c.jpegWell I sent my gun to MPA and had them put a Ported Barrel in it. Now I need a starting load to make the ports work.  With my normal barrel, I run a 135 gr. bullet and a fast powder  .  I would like to try slower powder with a lighter bullet since IDPA  doesn’t have a bullet weight floor. Has anybody tried this before?

1 minute ago, OpenshooterMclass4lyfe said:

115s with 6.2 of hs6 in my ported 1911 had me at 1150 fps and it shot flat, very accurate and very little felt recoil.  

Side note.  I had 6 1/8th inch popple holes in my 1911.   

Edited by OpenshooterMclass4lyfe

12 minutes ago, OpenshooterMclass4lyfe said:

115s with 6.2 of hs6 in my ported 1911 had me at 1150 fps and it shot flat, very accurate and very little felt recoil.  

Nice I have a few pounds of that tooo.   I usually shoot open with aa7 so I know the major loads.  Just new to the ported stuff.   Thank you for your assistance 

I've shot USPSA for 13-14 years. Started with IDPA but gradually preferred USPSA. Lately I've shot a couple of IDPA matches. Fun for a little changeup. Looking at the gun pictured it seems funny that today that's an IDPA gun.

20 minutes ago, MHicks said:

I've shot USPSA for 13-14 years. Started with IDPA but gradually preferred USPSA. Lately I've shot a couple of IDPA matches. Fun for a little changeup. Looking at the gun pictured it seems funny that today that's an IDPA gun.

I know right lol.   I started with IDPA 9 years ago and also found that uspsa was a way better sport. Now that they have changed the rules it’s kinda fun again.  Also now that we have LO in Uspsa I can shoot something besides open if I feel like it.  Iron sights are just getting hard to see anymore.   Hopefully my dot stays close between the 2 barrels 🤞

9 hours ago, LHshooter said:

I ordered the MPA DS9 IDPA pistol 4 weeks ago with both a standard and a ported barrel barrel. I'd be interested in knowing what load data you come up with if you don't mind sharing.

I don’t mind sharing a bit.  Going to start with the work up this weekend.  The gun was awesome with 135 blues over 3.4 of titegroup @1.145.  129pf.  
If they wouldn’t have changed the rules I would be perfectly happy shooting that load.  But since they allow ports and I’m a mid level master shooter. I’m going to see if I can get a little more of an edge on the shooter thst are not running a ported barrel.   

1 hour ago, Bwilmot said:

I don’t mind sharing a bit.  Going to start with the work up this weekend.  The gun was awesome with 135 blues over 3.4 of titegroup @1.145.  129pf.  

Looking forward to hearing how the DS9 shoots with the ported barrel.

I have also been loading with Titegroup at about 130PF so I'll be curious to see what kind of loads work well with the ported barrel.

Update 

I tried the 6.2 of HS6 under a 115 grain plated bullet and it didn't make power factor 124ish PF . It shot nice but nothing special . Then I bumped the load up to 6.7 and it made 130ish PF . Still it didn't seem like anything special . I also tried the normal load of 3.4TG under a 135gr bullet  thinking it would loose FPS. Well surprisingly  it didn't  was still the same 130ish PF. 

Then I tried 5.6 of AutoComp under a 115 133PF  and this is the way .The gun settled down and acted like a ported gun should act like. I will load several hundred  and shoot The Battle of The Berms this weekend  should be a great level 2 match. Ill chime back in and let ya know how it worked out next week  

1 hour ago, Bwilmot said:

Update 

I tried the 6.2 of HS6 under a 115 grain plated bullet and it didn't make power factor 124ish PF . It shot nice but nothing special . Then I bumped the load up to 6.7 and it made 130ish PF . Still it didn't seem like anything special . I also tried the normal load of 3.4TG under a 135gr bullet  thinking it would loose FPS. Well surprisingly  it didn't  was still the same 130ish PF. 

Then I tried 5.6 of AutoComp under a 115 133PF  and this is the way .The gun settled down and acted like a ported gun should act like. I will load several hundred  and shoot The Battle of The Berms this weekend  should be a great level 2 match. Ill chime back in and let ya know how it worked out next week  

What was your PF at 5:6 of autocomp?  

• 3 months later...

Update on the ported barrel.  

I have found that my normal loads work better than any lighter bullet combo.  My load is a 135blue over 3.5 titegroup @1.145.  Gun is supper soft and flat.