Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester brass with tight pockets!

HOGRIDER

Recently got into a box of pre-processed Win once fired brass that has several with tight primer pockets.  Started having an unusual high number of crushed primers (Federal match); and after going through the press and taking care of some minor issues, it was suggested that I check for crimped and/or tight pockets.

Grabbed 1k and sat down with the primer pocket go/no-go gauge, and found about 10% that had tight and/or left-over crimped pockets!  Each and every one are headstamped WIN 9mm LUGER.  Of course I can deal with the crimps at swaging; but what are the options for tight pockets?  Would they need a primer pocket uniformer?  Or just toss them in the recycle bucket and move on.  It's a PIA to have to pocket gauge the remaining 2k since there are no "visible" indicators that reveal abnormal pockets!  And I've never used a pocket uniformer before!

And better options out there for dealing with this?

Thanks!

And a pic of what I consider a "left-over" crimp..........

😰

Win Primer Pocket.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I've had quite a few tight pocketed winchester brass as well.  They don't have a crimp on them, just tight.  I'll usually feel the primer go in wrong.  I take my chamfer tool and put an edge on the pocket then reseat the primer.  

Did you try swaging some of the tight ones to see if it helps? I had some the same way and the swager took care of most of it but that sharp edge is a pain. They were still a little snug but at least prime-able without mashing them. I truly believe that on some crimped brass that it actually make’s the pocket tighter half way down. On the uniformer sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn’t cut anything out and just gets stuck in the pocket or squeaks. A 40 degree case mouth de-burring tool actually works better, or a 60 deg if that’s all ya got. One quick twist is generally all it takes. 

8 hours ago, Farmer said:

Did you try swaging some of the tight ones to see if it helps? I had some the same way and the swager took care of most of it but that sharp edge is a pain. They were still a little snug but at least prime-able without mashing them. I truly believe that on some crimped brass that it actually make’s the pocket tighter half way down. On the uniformer sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn’t cut anything out and just gets stuck in the pocket or squeaks. A 40 degree case mouth de-burring tool actually works better, or a 60 deg if that’s all ya got. One quick twist is generally all it takes. 

+1 ^^^^^
I had this happen earlier this year and when it did I just made sure my “swaging thingie” was set on my RL1100 and it fixed the issue. Usually my swage thingie is not set to engage brass when I am loading 9mm because I only load sorted brass that I had Todd at A+ Brass sort for me - but Winchester brass is included in my sort list that Todd sends back to me from my bulk brass.  

Since this occurred I now leave my swage tool set to verify I do not have any tight primer pockets. I also ONLY use CCI primers which are harder than the Federal primers (as I know we all already know this)…..I cannot afford Federal Match primer prices 🤑

All:

I appreciate the feed back!  As far as a crimped pocket, yes the swager on the Apex10 will easily take care of that.  What's become the issue is when my Ballistic Tools swage gauge (0.1725") fails to fully insert into the pocket!  And even if I've swaged and/or deburred the mouth, and my gauge that's 0.0005" smaller than pocket minimum spec won't go but ~half way in, It's not something I can "feel" with the 10 station progressive press until there's a mess under/around the shellplate or primer disc assembly!  A very trusted source shared this:

Crimped pockets are also not the only thing to look for. I have seen several manufactures produce non uniform, or offset primer pockets, or pockets that are just too small/tight. Swaging will only provide a funnel or bevel to the pocket, it will not stretch out, or otherwise correct a bad pocket.

At this point, and I'm not planning on doing this long term, I think just checking each piece of brass with the BT swage gauge would be the easiest way out.  If it doesn't accept the gauge easily/completely, then toss it in a reject bin and sell it back to the processor!

BTW:  I purchased 12k Federal Match SP primers about 7 years ago when they were at "normal" pricing.........

;)

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, JKP said:

I ran into this and posted on another forum. The response I received was that they came from loads that had no lead primers, and this was why they were crimped. Greenies saving us again.

@JKP

Yea, I've dealt with these type cases before; mainly they were Federal.  But the cases were marked with NT (non-toxic) and easy to spot.

I'm not sure if these Winchester's have had "nt" type primers also; there's no way to tell from the headstamp markings.  And many if these have no "crimp ring" or crimp markings I can see.  Just failing the pocket gauge down into the pocket BELOW the rim....

Thanks for your reply!

:)