Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

55gr VMAX and H335

willfully armed

I have been loading 55gr FMJ over 25.0 H335 at 2.230".  Primers do tend to flatten, but no flow around the primer crater. 

I've got an old box of 55gr VMAX that Im planning on loading, since they're no good sitting in a drawer.

My manuals don't explicitly list the VMAX. Online offerings are all over the place. Anywhere from 23.0 to 26.3. 

Who has data for this combo?  It's going through a WOA 18" SPR, Wylde chamber. Yes, I know "work up to it", but as stated before, I don't have hard data.

That’s kinda been the standard load for everything I shoot from Nosler BT’s, WW soft points, Rem SP’s and V-Maxes. Never had really any reason to change it. Do get an occasional flatter primer but think it has more to do with brass type’s than bullets. IE mil vs commercial. 

On 10/9/2023 at 2:31 AM, willfully armed said:

I have been loading 55gr FMJ over 25.0 H335 at 2.230".  Primers do tend to flatten, but no flow around the primer crater. 

I've got an old box of 55gr VMAX that Im planning on loading, since they're no good sitting in a drawer.

My manuals don't explicitly list the VMAX. Online offerings are all over the place. Anywhere from 23.0 to 26.3. 

Who has data for this combo?  It's going through a WOA 18" SPR, Wylde chamber. Yes, I know "work up to it", but as stated before, I don't have hard data.

I broke out my 11th edition of the Hornady reloading manual last night.

They have like a blanket page covering all their 55 grain projectiles including the Vmax.

seated out to a C.O.A.L. Of 2.250”, Hornady’s manual lists a max load of 23.2 grains of H335. (Which seems rather conservative)

The rule of thumb load has been 25.0 grains of H335 with either the Hornady 55gr FMJBT bullet or the 55gr soft point BT bullet seated out to 2.250"

That rule of thumb load has been around here on the BE forums since at least 2007.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 8:04 PM, willfully armed said:

I did go ahead and run 10 with 25.0, a tad on the spicy side, flattened primers but no flow. 

I would just make 10 more each at 24.5 and 24. Then once you choose from them load .2 up and .2 down from that.

i run 25 of H-335 with the Z-Max (V-Max) and it is up there compared to a 55fmj because the bullet length is longer than a fmj therefore more pressure/velocity. Look to 62-69g load data if you want something milder (basically take away a grain or two). Its lights-out accurate for my 1-8 Wylde at 25. If your primer is something like a cci400, they are going to be flat. I've used those and S&B's with no worries.

Edited by frankge