Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Figured out my light ignition issues.

Petrov

So I have been having trouble with really weak hits on my primers, barley a dimple in my 627.

I have been treating my moonclips like magazines, just dump them in an ammo box or the range bag, pile them on top of each other fully loaded etc.

Put empty brass in a moon clip in do some dry fire and observe. The brass kinda sticks out a bit from the cylinder so when the firing pin hits it whacks the primer and the brass starts to travel forward and the moon clip almost acts like a spring to absorb the kinetic energy.

About half of my moon clips are a bit wonky. They dont have obvious issues but they are bent enough for one round not to ignite out of the 8.

9 minutes ago, Petrov said:

So I have been having trouble with really weak hits on my primers, barley a dimple in my 627.

I have been treating my moonclips like magazines, just dump them in an ammo box or the range bag, pile them on top of each other fully loaded etc.

Put empty brass in a moon clip in do some dry fire and observe. The brass kinda sticks out a bit from the cylinder so when the firing pin hits it whacks the primer and the brass starts to travel forward and the moon clip almost acts like a spring to absorb the kinetic energy.

About half of my moon clips are a bit wonky. They dont have obvious issues but they are bent enough for one round not to ignite out of the 8.

I find that a bit suspect, more likely you have a headspace/ cylinder endshake problem.  Not doubting your observations, just the diagnosis. If the head space is correct as the bent spot came under the firing pin it should move it up tight. Shouldn tbe enough room there. I mean even a high primer rubs and makes things  tight.

5 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

I find that a bit suspect, more likely you have a headspace/ cylinder endshake problem.  Not doubting your observations, just the diagnosis. If the head space is correct as the bent spot came under the firing pin it should move it up tight. Shouldn tbe enough room there. I mean even a high primer rubs and makes things  tight.

No endshake I took care of that. I do have headspace that is just outside of the specs. I think just a hair over 0.064? I dont have the numbers with me.

There should be .005 to .010 between the recoil shield and the head of the case. That is plenty of room for a slightly bent moonclip to cause problems. Moons need to be flat, flat, flat.

Edited by Toolguy

28 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

There should be .005 to .010 between the recoil shield and the head of the case. That is plenty of room for a slightly bent moonclip to cause problems. Moons need to be flat, flat, flat.

Hey warren, heading to the irc with Darren, going to use the pro you helped me with as my main gun!  It's working great.  Anyone know where to find a couple of stars for a 627, my PC needs timed.

Most times, .495 is considered the minimum firing pin length. A few factory ones are that long, most are shorter. The extended ones are usually around .505 + or - a bit.

With the hammer all the way down, you want the firing pin to stick out of the recoil shield about .050, the thickness of a dime.

Edited by Toolguy

Well the issue is back. I have noticed something though.

When it fails to fire it leaves a tiny little weak dimple. I can fail to ignite it 5 times I'm a row and it's all small weak dimple.

Finally when it does go off it has a good strong firing pin impact that leaves a good dent in the primer.

2 hours ago, Petrov said:

Guess who mistook a slightly tapered mechanical pencil spring for a firing pin spring?

Its me I drank the dumb bit-h juice, the whole gallon jug. 

Back to consistent ignition at 7.5 pound DA pull.

dunce.jpg

🤗you should've said tried a special wound spring and it didn't work?  Just think if it had worked?!  We'd all be running out to the office supply store.

Edited by pskys2

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

🤗you should've said tried a special wound spring and it didn't work?  Just think if it had worked?!  We'd all be running out to the office supply store.

This is my performance contra axial torodial counter kinetic inline lateral performance spring. That will be 50 dollars.