Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holes in frame allowed in USPSA CO?

aecaad10

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to USPSA looking for advice. I have looked at the rule book and can't find the exact wording to answer my question. I have a CZ SP-01 with a CZ thumb rest drilled and tapped into the frame of the firearm. My question is would I be able to compete in USPSA CO if I remove the thumb rest leaving the 2 drilled/tapped holes exposed? Or will those two holes be considered an illegal modification disqualifying me from competing in CO. Any advice and input is greatly appreciated .

The rules for each division are addressed in appendix D, with Carry Optics being in D7. Any statement about holes being allowed or not must be supported by a specific rule. 

Here's how the process works. Special conditions (5) states that anything that is not *specifically* authorized is prohibited and rule D7 19 incorporates "special conditions" into the requirements for the division. Rule D7 21 requires that the shooter can point to the rule authorizing the modification, in this case the holes. The Ranger Master *must* more shooter to Open if the shooter cannot point to the specific rule, per D7 21. So, as a shooter, you must be able to point to something specific. You can't just say "it's no big deal." 

In this case, I would argue that the modification (holes) is/are not on the prohibited list, D7 22, and that the rule that allows holes is D7 21.2a, where the holes are similar and not worse than stippling. If the RM doesn't accept that (which would be a joke to try to make such a point), as the shooter the OP would have to point to a NROI ruling. Absent both of these (D7 21.2a and NROI ruling), the RM would have to move the OP to Open. 

In reality, nobody in their right mind will question the holes. But it's important to understand the process for defending any modification as it might be something trickier than a few holes that you'll have to defend in the future.