Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload from pocket

MHicks

I haven't been shooting IDPA for years, mostly USPSA. Shot a local IDPA match yesterday.  Shooting CDP I begin make ready with 2 mags on belt, fully loaded mag and barney mag in pocket. At make ready I load with the Barney mag remove it and finish loading with the full mag from my pocket.

On one stage I used the Barney mag then finished loading with one of my belt mags. When I went to reload a second time I had no more mags on my belt to load for one last target. Would it have been legal to use the loaded mag in my pocket during the stage? No big deal, just curious for future reference. 

While most SOs would probably figure you had done yourself enough of a disservice, I think that digging in your pocket for that odd magazine would be disallowed by:  

8.6.3.4  The same exact location for speed loaders, speed loader pouches, moon clips, moon clip pouches, and/or

ammunition feeding devices in pockets must be used for every stage in a single match, unless otherwise specified in a stage description.

Edited by Jim Watson

8.6.1 General Ammunition Carrier Rules 8.6.1.1 Instead of using ammunition carriers, shooters may carry spare loading devices in their pockets or belt. Shooters may mix carry methods but they must be concealed from view at the start signal. 8.6.1.2 Ammunition carriers may be modified to meet IDPA rules. 8.6.1.3 Magnets worn on belts or in concealment garments may not substitute traditional carriers. 8.6.1.4 Spare ammunition is considered stowed when it is secured in an approved carrier, or a pocket. After the start signal, magazines optionally may be stowed inside the belt. Spare or partial devices are not considered stowed in a shooters hand, armpit, mouth or similar scheme. 8.6.2 Magazine Carriers 8.6.2.1 Must be suitable for concealed carry and all-day continuous wear. 8.6.2.2 Must be worn on an IDPA legal belt. 8.6.2.3 Magazine carriers must be worn in a location on the belt so that the magazine is completely concealed. 8.6.2.4 The same exact location for magazines, magazine pouches, and/or ammunition feeding devices in pockets must be used for every stage in a single match, unless otherwise specified in a stage description.

Edited 6 hours ago by dtuns

• 3 weeks later...

Spare loading devices need to be staged in the same place on body for every stage unless the stage procedure states otherwise.

Whether you used the mag or not, starting with the mag in your pocket instead of the belt as usual deserves a penalty. However, the SO probably wouldn't notice unless you actually loaded from your pocket, and probably not even then.

That said, it's better to earn a penalty than to not engage the remaining targets.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 11:53 PM, gigamortis said:

I use my pocket for my barney mag and starter mag along with two in mag holders on the belt for the entire match.  This meets the "same locations" for the entire match.

8.6.2.4 applies at the start signal. If the shooter usually loads from the pocket, and has two mags on the belt at the start signal, but accidentally loads from the belt, so there is one mag on the belt and one in the pocket at the start signal, then the shooter has violated 8.6.2.4.