Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for some match analysis help.

redbarron06

I know there are a bunch of USPSA/IPSC shooters here.  I am fighting my way to a higher level as most of us that are not GMs probably are.  I recently made B in LO in fact I am still trying to bump off 3  C class scores.

I have started recording as many of my stages as I can get with the Shooters Gobal timer and this week added a GoPro on my head.  Watching them back at regular and then .25 speed I am seeing many things I did not realize during the shooting or even with buddies just recording with a phone.  What I have been working on is making sure the gun is up and on target before getting into a position, getting my draw speed down and if possible combining it with other movements like stepping into the shooting area.  The other thing I have been working on is making sure I am getting into a position low enough to be stable with enough range of motion to engage all targets without having to shuffle my feet.  

What I am seeing adding the head mount camera is that I seem to start moving out of position before breaking my last shots on target.  Not sure If I am moving my head and leaving my eyes on target or just getting the dot on brown and then pulling on a wish while I am moving.  Either way I am sure it is costing me points.  

First I will say I know I need to work on explosive movement, I am over 50 and a bit round.  34 years in the military has left me with bad knees so I am as quick and nimble as I used to be.  

If anybody has the time and would like to throw in some constructive input it would be greatly appreciated.  While this year is winding down, I have plans on shooting at least 1 state sectional and the Area 5 match next year.  Also if anybody knows a coach in the middle TN (CLarksville/Nashville area) drop a name for me to research.  Right now I have plans to go to one of the coaching sessions at GlockStore and Tim Herron’s class next year in KY.

Here is a link to the playlist for yesterday’s match.  For what its work in the POV view of the 5th stage, I drop the F bomb when I realized I had initiated an unplanned and unnecessary reload.  Also on the 3rd stage I had a complete brain fart and started the star at the bottom and to top that off I went plate on the star to paper then back to the star twice.  The other thing I noticed is that while I did have the gun up most of the time before I got into position, I had to go back and reshoot that target because I either had 2 bad hits or no hits at all.  This happened at least 2 times.

So let them fly.  I don’t wear my feelings on my shoulders when it comes to shooting and I understand that to get better I have to hear what I am doing wrong and sometimes that hurts.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys are willing to give.

Hi, here are some observations for Stage 1:

- after the beep, try to stay as low as you comfortably can throughout the rest of the stage (don’t hop)

- when you leave the first position to the second on the right, use your strong hand elbow/arm to gain more momentum leaving the position and get the gun up higher/sooner shooting into position

- pay a bit more attention in the second position to already prep you strong leg to push out from second to third position, leave more explosively, shoot into position by slowing down 2 steps before entering and getting a bit lower and getting gun up sooner into the third position

- third/fourth position: transitions and splits can be sooner and faster, lead by your vision (especially on steels)

23 minutes ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Hi, here are some observations for Stage 1:

- after the beep, try to stay as low as you comfortably can throughout the rest of the stage (don’t hop)

- when you leave the first position to the second on the right, use your strong hand elbow/arm to gain more momentum leaving the position and get the gun up higher/sooner shooting into position

- pay a bit more attention in the second position to already prep you strong leg to push out from second to third position, leave more explosively, shoot into position by slowing down 2 steps before entering and getting a bit lower and getting gun up sooner into the third position

- third/fourth position: transitions and splits can be sooner and faster, lead by your vision (especially on steels)

I was trying to lead with my eye and I noticed on the 1st steel I was jerking the trigger and causing this hits on the rack rather than the plate.  

Thanks for the advice.

28 minutes ago, wtturn said:

Practical Shooting Training Group would be a good option for you.

I will look into them.  Noticed you are in the ATL area.  I lived there for many years.  Still have in-laws up in Loganville.  Was going to volunteer to RO the GA sectional this year (could stay at my brother in-laws) but the cancelled it.

One of the other things I noticed that that I am going for my middle magazine for reloads during matches.  Not sure why all of my dry fire practice I am going for the front one (on center line) but then in matches I go for the middle?  May just end up moving some stuff around on the belt.

21 minutes ago, redbarron06 said:

One of the other things I noticed that that I am going for my middle magazine for reloads during matches.  Not sure why all of my dry fire practice I am going for the front one (on center line) but then in matches I go for the middle?  May just end up moving some stuff around on the belt.

I suggest the following technique: consistently use your weak hand and thumb to slide from the belly button just above the top of the belt towards your mag/mag pouch to the left. This way you go through the pouches in order, never missing one.

26 minutes ago, StefVanHauwe said:

I suggest the following technique: consistently use your weak hand and thumb to slide from the belly button just above the top of the belt towards your mag/mag pouch to the left. This way you go through the pouches in order, never missing one.

That’s what I try to do, and works like a charm in all my dryfire.  During dryfire I never go to the second pouch, but for what ever reason during a match I go there 4 out of 5 times.  The odd thing is during the stage I had the unintentional mag change, I sent straight to the center mag, like I should have done on the first reload.

• 1 month later...

Some good advice here already, but make sure your transition exits are explosive. Especially in the first two positions, your gun is lagging pretty hard in between transitions. Work on more confidence in splits on hard targets as well, so you can speed up the shooting in that second array with all the no shoots for example.

• 1 month later...

I may be off here but what I think is going on with your mikes and makeup shots, is that you aren't allowing yourself to see what you need to in order to make the shot. You end up shooting too fast and just hoping that the hits are there. You might even just be "aiming for brown", i.e - when you see the sight on paper (anywhere) you let fly. If your sights then are at a corner, a very slight error in your trigger pull or similar can pull the shot off target. If I had to guess, I would say that you've shot a bunch of close stuff and gotten used to a certain rhythm but as the distances increase, the margin for error gets smaller.

I would suggest an "aim small miss small" approach in training. Be observant of what you see, try to think about how it feels when you make a hit (personally I have a tendency to tense up). Go to the range and shoot smaller targets, really forcing yourself to get the sight picture and trigger pull sorted. Learn what you need to see to get the hits.
Do this in training, then at the match just shut off your brain. Let the hits tell you what you need to work on next.