Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tec loaders - any advice?

kbear38S

I can't get the damn things to work, even when being slow and deliberate.

Frequently, my shells end up with two grooves gouged in the plastic which seem to correspond to fingers the Easy Lader though I'm not sure if that's where they're coming from.

I sprayed the Tec Loader tubes with silicon and worked them a bunch of times to loosen them up because they are very tight.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Don't go slowly.  Tech loaders need to be used aggresively or they don't work.  Once you get started push the plunger firmly and quickly.

The critical thing with techloaders is the angle.  You must place the loader in the holder at just the right angle or they don't work.

If you have a Rem. 1100, you can only reload if the hammer is cocked.  If you dry fire the hammer down, the loading gate will not retract far enough to give the shells room to get into the tube.  If you manage to force the shells in, they will probably have two deep cuts down the side.

Don't try to get the tubes too loose.  I've whipped the loader out of the holder, and up to the bracket, only to find half the rounds had sprayed out on the way.

(Edited by Rich Bagoly at 12:36 pm on May 19, 2002)

Rich,

Yes, it's an 1100.

I think you've identified my problem. I wasn't cocking the hammer before loading.

I am seeing one other problem now. I have a set of dummy rounds loaded (no powder or primers) and when I cycle the bolt, the last round from the magazine isn't being completely pushed from the mag tube. This occured at the range once.

There is a slight resistance in the follower the last 1/4" but it's pretty insignificant.

Any ideas? (the gun's fairly new, BTW)

(Edited by kbear38S at 10:57 am on May 19, 2002)

What made the biggest different in my 1100 was using a dremel and rounding and polishing the sharp edges where the receiver and mag tube meet at the entry to the magazine.  My gun had very sharp edges and would cut the shells on the way in.

When using the loader do not try to aim the tube at the opening and a very low angle.  It seems to be the right way but the shells do no go down far enough into the receiver to get into the tube.  You need to have the loader at about a 45 to the gun.  Hold the gun muzzle up at about 45 and the tec-loader tube parallel with the ground.  Push hard and fast and let the loader handle run all the way into the magazine, don't slow down as you get close to the gun, just jam em in.

Don't use thoes all plastic shells to practice.  The rim is not strong enough and will deform on the shell stop and then they will stick in the mage tube.  

I practice reloading with 2 pepper poppers set up so they won't fall.  Load 3 rounds in the gun.  Shoot 2, reload and then shoot 2 more.  I have done this with boxes moving between them and reloading on the move.  You may get good in the house but its different at the match on the clock.

As far as the last round, some shells are longer than others.  The difference may be only 1/16 inch but is stacks up with 10 rounds and this may be the issue on the last round.  My gun will not load 10 in the tube with some brands of shells.

Some 1100 followers have a small bead/cylinder on the end, I cut the one off mine so now the follower is just a small cap for the spring.

(Edited by TMC at 2:29 pm on May 19, 2002)

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem with my 11/87 with the hammer not cocked.l I had to deep grooves.

Now when pushing you should also push the handle sort of underneth instead of over the top. If that makes sense. As if you pushing the handle kinda of up instead of down. Hard to explain.