Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello 38 SC shooters what recoil springs do you use

Mythos

Hi im new to 38SC the gun is set up with a 13 lb spring, which works well enough, but i find 10 is maby a bit faster? 

i load with VV-N105 with 10.7gr and a 123g bullet, so my question is, what do you guys run in your guns ? i dont care if i ruin the gun so to speak, i race the gun and s#!t goes wrong but, i like to be on the safer side of things, also wont i reduce recoil/shoot flatter with more spring ? please give me your insights 

Best regards

Atle.

Hi there, IMO very dependent on type of gun, ammo parameters and shooters' preference. Most of the open 38 SC shooters in my clubs have between a 7 and 10 lbs recoil spring. Never more than 10 lbs. I strongly suggest to test it for yourself whilst you video the gun's movement in a booth, as well as during practical shooting trainings. 

24 minutes ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Hi there, IMO very dependent on type of gun, ammo parameters and shooters' preference. Most of the open 38 SC shooters in my clubs have between a 7 and 10 lbs recoil spring. Never more than 10 lbs. I strongly suggest to test it for yourself whilst you video the gun's movement in a booth, as well as during practical shooting trainings. 

Really ? 7 lb.. wow that's light, I shall video it and check how it moves! thank you for replying :)

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

7lb ISMI. Slide locks up softly

I got a few new 7lbs which i use for my 9mm steelmaster, for steel challenges, but that seems very light, but I shall give it a go, wont the spring take up a lot of the recoil though? or is it how fast it slams back to 0 that's the point. sorry for the newb questions but I need to start tuning somewhere hehe 

When your gun has a compensator, the gas reduces the amount of recoil by directing gas backwards, which counteracts some of the forces. The slides are also lightened so that there is less moving mass hitting the back of the frame. Generally, the spring needs to be strong enough to strip a round from the magazine but not heavy enough where it slams the slide back into battery and makes the gun dip.

38 minutes ago, sc68cal said:

When your gun has a compensator, the gas reduces the amount of recoil by directing gas backwards, which counteracts some of the forces. The slides are also lightened so that there is less moving mass hitting the back of the frame. Generally, the spring needs to be strong enough to strip a round from the magazine but not heavy enough where it slams the slide back into battery and makes the gun dip.

Aha thats why you lighten the frame! But og the frame hasent been lightened should i still run the light springs or will it batter my frame up? 

54 minutes ago, Mythos said:

Aha thats why you lighten the frame! But og the frame hasent been lightened should i still run the light springs or will it batter my frame up? 

The slide, not the frame, is lightened.

Spring weight will not significantly influence how much the frame gets battered. What really matters is how well the guide rod is fitted to the frame. If the guide rod is not fitted correctly, it will move under recoil and dig into the frame.

https://youtu.be/w_89CEN682Q

If you are worried about your frame, you can use a buffer (alumabuff, Wilson combat, etc) but there are tradeoffs. They will reduce the stroke length of the slide which can cause feeding issues and also can degrade and crumble and then cause the gun to jam.

I've had a frame that came with Wilson combat buffs, and I used them for a while but eventually stopped replacing them. I'll show pictures of the wear. It's never been an issue and it's had a replacement top end

Edited by sc68cal

21 hours ago, sc68cal said:

The slide, not the frame, is lightened.

Spring weight will not significantly influence how much the frame gets battered. What really matters is how well the guide rod is fitted to the frame. If the guide rod is not fitted correctly, it will move under recoil and dig into the frame.

https://youtu.be/w_89CEN682Q

If you are worried about your frame, you can use a buffer (alumabuff, Wilson combat, etc) but there are tradeoffs. They will reduce the stroke length of the slide which can cause feeding issues and also can degrade and crumble and then cause the gun to jam.

I've had a frame that came with Wilson combat buffs, and I used them for a while but eventually stopped replacing them. I'll show pictures of the wear. It's never been an issue and it's had a replacement top end

I ment the slide not the frame! its and infinity so the fit is very nice!, i also use a buffer, got told it would shoot a bit flatter. im on a maby, i got 4 ported barrel holes, and a 8 ported comp so it is quite amazing, still one does look for the optimal solution and where to start is always the hardest