Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA - Stage or Pull Through?

Stafford

On 11/17/2023 at 11:06 AM, IVC said:

Staging and pull-through are two different techniques and are used in different scenarios. 

For most shooting, pull-through is the "correct way." Not because staging is inherently incorrect, but because pull-through is both faster and more universal. However, for bullseye shooting or when you need very high accuracy, staging is the way to go. In staging you stop at the wall and execute a trigger *press* instead of the traditional dynamic *pull*, which is the usual high precision technique. 

As for starting the trigger pull before the gun is on target, that's not staging. That's how you're supposed to work a long DA trigger, e.g., when shooting a revolver. The pull starts before the gun is ready and is synchronized with the gun getting on target. If you get to the wall only to pull the trigger fast through the wall, you should be using pull-through instead and not introduce the unnecessary and complicating delays of the staging. If you just feel like prepping the trigger before it's on target, just do the pull-through and learn to have the patience to wait until the shot fires. 

With DA triggers, the trick is not the front-end speed, where the gun gets on target, the trick is the back-end speed, where you wait for the shot to fire before moving on. If you're used to the cues such as "it's on target, fire now" as a way to call a shot, you'll have to correct it and simply say "it's on target, keep it there until it fires." Pulling a DA shot is rarely about the sights or the movement of the gun through the pull, it's almost always calling the shoot too soon and starting to move the gun out before it fired. 

I think this is very well said, and I appreciate the info.

I have shot Revolver in steel challenge for a few years now. Earlier this year I decided to just stop shooting revolver for awhile, I was getting worse instead of better. I was trying way to hard. Anyway reading this has helped me understand part of what was happening with my shooting. Thanks IVC.