Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Defensive Pistol

loupeznik

I am looking for a defensive pistol coarse using the modern isosceles as per Brian Enos. I have taken a week long coarse with Jeff Cooper (Orange Gunsite) and have been using The Modified Weaver or Chapman for many years. My wife, who is a new shooter, will also be attending. I have many habits to break while adopting this new position. While my first shot time is fast, my shot to shot times are slower than those using the Modern Isosceles. It takes me more time to pick up the sight between shots. I want a coarse about a week long that will focus on defense not competition. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I also am a Orange family member, and just this year started changing over. The results were worth while to say the least. I am not fighting the pistol as much. In as much as G.S.S.A taught the mindset, I don't think any place else does this anymore out side of Thunder Ranch, and I'm not too sure what they are doing as of late. The only place I can think of would be USSA in Tulsa Ok. ( United States Shooting Academy ) Contact Marshall Luton. He is a Tulsa P.D. member and a darn fine instructor as well as a nationally ranked IDPA shooter. I know Marshall teaches the Isosceles. Tell him Kurt sent you and I'm sure you will get 10% added to your bill at no charge :D

loupeznik,

Where are you located?

I am in Fort worth TX. My wife and I don't mind traveling and were planning on making a vacation out of it.

Many of the competition classes are short where as the defense classes are longer on average. I have some habits to break and think a longer coarse would do me good. As for my wife she is just starting out and could use a good start.

Don't rule out a Gunsite 250 class. I was surprised that they are not dogmatic about Weaver. They still teach it, but they also said that if you are comfortable with iso to continue with that. You might give them a call and talk to them about what you want.

If you want to learn ISO and shoot enough to burn it in to some degree, then you might look at Frank Garcia...south of Orlando, FL. (which might paly into your vacation ideas too)

http://www.frankgarciausa.com/

Flex is right. Frank Garcia's a good choice. If you do a private class with him he can tailor it to your needs. He'll push you harder in 2 days than a lot of other classes will 5 days. (Yes, I've done a 2-day class with him. Good instructor.)

Matt Burkett would be another good choice. He could tailor something to your needs too. (No, I haven't done any classes with Matt.)

• 1 month later...

Have you tried shooting IPSC / USPSA? You might find a few matches will do more to break old habits than any class ... I tell students all the time to do this and do that... but in the end it's Time doing ON YOUR OWN that really gets things to STICK! Fish around a match ... and you will find some good instruction if not a good instructor. Idpa can be good also ... but I find the shooters are more advanced in IPSC/ USPSA...

I WISH ALL MY STUDENTS SHOT IPSC! 1-2 matches a month ! ... 2-4 hours every couple of weeks with your handgun in a safe environment!!! and its less than $20 bucks per shooter.

IT WILL IMPROVE YOUR STANCE AND HAVE YOU SHOOTING SAFER IN NO TIME!

hope this is not considered off topic ... best of luck!