Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Sell Or Not To Sell

When it comes to die sets is Dillon the only way to go? When I started relaoding I didnt know any better and got all RCBS products. When i bought my 1st 550 i got a taste of Dillon and loved it. The question is now do I sell off all my RCBS products and put that $ toward Dillon replacements or do ?I just keep whay I have?

Any input?

Presuming that you're satisfied with the performance of your RCBS dies - why would you?

I've gone exactly the opposite route - starting out with Dillon dies and gradually winnowing them out in favor of others that provide specific benefits. All of my pistol toolheads are equipped with EGW undersized dies in the first station, Dillon's powder/expanding dies, Redding competition seating dies, and RCBS taper crimp dies...

Personally, I found that Dillon's dies were wonderful if you were loading new brass, but their sizing dies are built for speed of loading, not sizing down to the base. Their bullet seating dies are really slick if you're loading lead and need to clean the seating plug without losing the OAL setting, but the Redding gives me finer control of OAL. Et cetera...

RCBS makes fine gear. If your loads funtion reliably and provide satisfactory accuracy...again, what are they NOT doing for you?

70% of my reloading for matches is .38 & .32 wadcutter. The other 30% is made up of hunting/practice ammo in either the .357 and .44 calibers. I also load for the .50ae.

In my wadcutter guns (S&W 52, Colt NM, Hammerli & Benelli) I have had no issues using my RCBS .32 dies along with a Redding Taper crimp die. In .38 I use a Dillon die set, again with no problem. As some of you may know these guns can be a bit picky as to digesting reloads.

Between RCBS and Lee I have every caliber from 9mm through .50AE

As always though my youth along with inexperience has gotten me in trouble. I am now on a "It has to be Dillon" kick. I am now working on my 3rd 550 but have yet to get rid of my Lee O press or Lee turret which served me well iwell during the learning process.

From what I understand all Dillon dies are taper crimp. I love that since the wadcutter guns need that a nice taper to help in feeding. But when it comes to stout .44 loads will the taper hold up? Is this why I keep my RCBS dies?

I guess over all I'm now just confused!

A year ago I loaded ammo for fun and to save some money while I shot every caliber under the sun. Now that I'm getting a bit more serious with accuracy Vs. loading the hottest heaviest load i can get without Kabooming the gun I need advice from people who know what works and what doesnt.

Lee and RCBS worked for fun, but will they work for 10 ring accuracy?

I no longer just want to "blow shit up" so to speak and would love to make every shot count. I just want to make sure I'm doing things the right way on teh reloading bench 1st.

hope that makes sense and gives a bit of insight in helping me.

Thanks for the help so far and in advance for whatever other info you guys may have

If you are any good with photos you can do very good on Ebay. post in the add what the shipping will be. pleny get burned on high shipping and they will bid higher to someone tha post fair shipping cost.

But you should keep the stuff , nothing wrong with RCBS dies

Presuming that you're satisfied with the performance of your RCBS dies - why would you?

I've gone exactly the opposite route - starting out with Dillon dies and gradually winnowing them out in favor of others that provide specific benefits. All of my pistol toolheads are equipped with EGW undersized dies in the first station, Dillon's powder/expanding dies, Redding competition seating dies, and RCBS taper crimp dies...

Personally, I found that Dillon's dies were wonderful if you were loading new brass, but their sizing dies are built for speed of loading, not sizing down to the base. Their bullet seating dies are really slick if you're loading lead and need to clean the seating plug without losing the OAL setting, but the Redding gives me finer control of OAL. Et cetera...

RCBS makes fine gear. If your loads funtion reliably and provide satisfactory accuracy...again, what are they NOT doing for you?

+1 to everything stated above. If I were you and looking to spend my money on any particular die that you don't already own, I'd recommend the Redding competition seating die first, followed by the EGW. Frankly, though, why fix what isn't broken... especially if it's for ONLY the name of a manufacturer, regardless of the quality of said manufacturer?

Edited by jkrispies