Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rival S Extra Small Grips

partyboy424

Aside from the Canik S reliability issues. (Have a spring, Oring, ammo combo that works well enough at least for the rest of the season until aftermarket catches up). Aside from that, my biggest issue was the length of pull to the trigger and the size of the grips.  

I have small hands and have always loved 1911s and literally have 10 different M&Ps all running small or extra small back straps.  Just the length from where the webbing of your thumb sits to the trigger on a Rival is 10-12mm further forward than on my M&ps and same with ”the wall” before the sear breaks.  So if I really focus on grip, was able to shoot the Rival decent. But one handed strong hand was tough and off hand was impossible. Even unload and show clear hammer down, just felt like the gun was a huge brick in my hand. 

Got some new extra small Mag-Mo grips.  Way smaller! Grippier and now I’m wildly noticeable getting a better grip and better accuracy. Didn’t get to actually test them out after getting them this week. Just put them on and went straight to a match this morning. Worth every penny. 

Pics are trying to show the old small grip and how much smaller the back of the grip into the palm is. 

CD4F5973-DD17-4216-8F9F-B4C2FDE388A0.jpeg

98D0026E-F0CB-4CD2-AC5E-CA336090FF7F.jpeg

7 minutes ago, WxGuy said:

Is there a website?

I found him through Reddit. If you go to the Canik subreddit there’s a lot of pictures and reviews.  No website yet at least. I’ll ask him if maybe he has an Instagram to show the different types.  He’s sending me an “edge” extra small that has a shelf basically to dig your support hand grip into. I’ll attach a pic.

All my contact with him was via email.  Extremely responsive and shipped fast.

mymagmo@gmail.com

7D8FF09C-7A6F-4E49-9A4B-E1F20E3775C6.png

On 8/6/2023 at 9:56 PM, WxGuy said:

Is there a website?

No website yet but I can vouch for him also. I’m going to do a post about his edge grips soon. He’s a great guy and can print you custom items!

He sent me a pair of the Extra Small Edge grips yesterday.  Going to try them out this weekend in a match.  They're legal in all Divisions; with Production (which I'm shooting) being the only kinda sorta maybe.  I got a "They appear to be legal" from rules USPSA,  but I could see under 22.2 for Production rules that an argument could be made.  

Got to test about 1,000 rounds on these this weekend.  For some reason I was thinking the "Edge" grips came out to the point that my support hand would tucked in under the ledge.  And I would be reducing recoil by pushing back against it.  Once I put them on I realized that my strong hand fingers go right up to the ledge and that instead of trying to angle my support hand palm back into the opening at the grip,  it now sits flat on the ledge.   This allows for a more natural feel when using a more thumbs forward grip.  Basically,  I started trying to have more of a Vogel grip the last two months where he wraps damn near half his support hand around the trigger guard, but it felt like I had to lock out my left elbow while trying to keep the meat of my palm on the grip and just didn't work.  Now with this ledge it does work.

Two other HUGE benefits I learned this weekend.  I'm shooting a Rival-S with the biggest stock mag release.  And the guy in front of my on a table start stage went to shoot.  Picks up his gun, mag flies out.  He pushed down while getting his grip.  So I go to setup my loaded table start and check to see how sensitive my mag catch is going to be.  Well, the ledge prevents the mag catch from getting pushed on a table start!

Second huge benefit is with off hand shooting.  I'm not terrible at off hand shooting with my M&Ps,  but even with the Extra Small MagMo grips,  I couldn't really shoot well off hand.  Something about this gun,  I just wasn't able to pull my off hand trigger finger and keep a solid steady grip on the gun.  Just could not get rid of an unintentional trigger jerk.  But with this edge grip I'm able to squeeze my palm around the back of the grip basically squeeze to the point that it naturally isolates my trigger finger.  Testing ammo today I was ripping through 8" plate racks with ease.

• 2 months later...

Are there pics or a site yet for his products? I'm not willing to spend on the Veloce Lok Grips (not the brass one, too heavy). I'm trying to use grip tape from Amazon and creating a build-up for a palm swell, but the tape keeps shifting even when I used super glue and let it cure overnight, held down by wrapping shoelaces around it.

6 hours ago, Seanzky said:

Are there pics or a site yet for his products? I'm not willing to spend on the Veloce Lok Grips (not the brass one, too heavy). I'm trying to use grip tape from Amazon and creating a build-up for a palm swell, but the tape keeps shifting even when I used super glue and let it cure overnight, held down by wrapping shoelaces around it.

No I talked to him about it, this is a side little passion project for him.  Said the exposure of websites and instagrams would turn it into a job.  Shoot me a PM I believe he sent me an extra medium a while back with the edge grip. I’ll send it over to you. 

51 minutes ago, partyboy424 said:

No I talked to him about it, this is a side little passion project for him.  Said the exposure of websites and instagrams would turn it into a job.  Shoot me a PM I believe he sent me an extra medium a while back with the edge grip. I’ll send it over to you. 

Thanks, that's very generous of you. I reached out to him via the email you posted above --thanks, by the way. He says that the M grips are too small for me (I sent him a pic). When I tried the L grips on, it didn't really seem to really feel that much better for me. I sent him a pic of that, too, and he says that it still looks too small for me. I've been shooting with the M grips just fine although I wear L gloves. I'm a bit confused but he says that it's satisfaction guaranteed.

Also, if I may ask, how does it feel when you have to shoot a string that's weak hand only?

@partyboy424, I just wanted to let you know that I received the L Mag-Mo grip. You don't need to send me your M grip, though I really appreciate you offering. This grip is money! It makes my Rival-S so easy to transition and point with. It's like waving a stick in my hands... so pointable! It makes it harder for me to mess up my grip from draw. It just feels very race-ready. If this doesn't help me get quicker splits, there's something seriously wrong that I need to work on (add that to the long list --hah!) I'm so glad I found this thread. I have never been so excited to shoot a match before. My support hand now has my grip chalk'd three fingers (of my strong hand) AND the ledge on the Mag-Mo grip to grab onto. It feels amazing!

As for weak hand only, it does not feel bad at all. It feels like a Lok Grips palm swell, albeit not as contoured. Like, I can feel the "Edge" (ledge) in my palm but the contour of the heel fills/stretches my palm anyway... if that makes any sense.

Mo has created grips that are also IDPA legal (1.625" total width to fit inside the box). It's actually MORE comfortable and equally effective. Weak-hand shooting is also more comfortable. This new revision is a lot closer to what I've been trying to achieve with my Glock 34 by stacking (to build up a platform) grip tape rectangles.

IMG_20231116_164930.jpg

IMG_20231116_164941.jpg

IMG_20231116_164944.jpg

IMG_20231116_164948.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just adding another big thanks to Mag Mo. I ordered both the edge and non-edge in extra small and they are absolutely excellent workmanship and function superbly. If you are looking for the best grips for the Rival, you will not be disappointed. He makes the process super easy and as others have noted above, his responsiveness and communication is terrific. 

• 4 weeks later...