Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1301 with Kick off?

Woodsparrow

I found a thread here from about 2014 mentioning that you can take the Extrema 400 stock with Kickoff plus (I may have mangled those names) and put it on a 1301.

I really dig the 1301 tactical, but am pretty recoil sensitive. I'd be happy to chuck in a few more bucks if it makes the whole system throw full power 12 gauge with the recoil of a 410 or something.

Does that still work? Or have the models changed in the past 8-10 years? What does it change the length of pull to, if anything? I won't ever be wandering around in carriers or armor, so I don't think I need the factory 13" LOP on the tactical model, but it would make it easier for my wife (a petit 5'0" person) to try the shotgun. I don't know if she ever actually will, it's just one of those nice-to-have things if it's possible.

The buttstock and the handguard of the 1301 Tactical is the same as the 1301 Competition.  I have swapped them between my Competitions and Tactical because the Tactical came without the sling swivel nut.  I just swapped stocks before I realized it was a threaded nut insert, DOH!  Ordered one from Midwest Gun Works and now they all have sling swivels.  I swapped handguards because I've shaved my Comp handguards and mounted Match Saverz.  Now they all are shaved and etc...

The main differences are:

the Tactical receiver is 1/2" shorter than the Competition receiver

the Tactical barrel extension is shorter because of the shorter receiver

the Tactical trigger group/housing/lifter/cartridge latch is shorter

the Tactical bolt carrier/piston stop/recoil spring is shorter (bolts are the same between Comp and Tac)

the Tactical gas piston is shorter

the Tactical gas exhaust spring is heavier (it can be used in the Comp to run lighter loads because it vents less pressure)

I've shot the new 1301 Comp Pro that has the Kick-Off and didn't really like it.  Maybe if I shot it more I would get used to the odd, flexi-flyer feeling and really didn't like the lack of grip.  The buttstock and handguard are much smoother than the Tac or Comp.  Just shooting 1145 - 1250fps 1-1/8 oz ammo I didn't feel it was that much softer in recoil and that may have been how much it moved around.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

I haven't personally put a kick-off on one of my shotguns, so no guarantees.  The length of pull between Comp and Tac is exactly the same.  The difference in the receiver is all in front of the trigger.  I believe the Comp uses the same receiver as a 3.5" gun for the larger, longer loading port even though the barrel is only chambered for 3" shells.  The Tac uses a 3" in receiver.

Nolan