Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bianchi Matches - how to find

Bill Schwab

From searches it seems to me the closest active AP matches to me are Chambersburg PA and Pioneer in NY. I've checked the CMP Competition Tracker, and do not see any matches listed. I cannot seem to create an account in the NRA match website to search their list of matches. The Match Announcements page here doesn't have a lot going on. Soooo how does a new guy to AP find other matches? Or are there very few left? Appreciate any guidance.

Bill, There are other matches that don't appear on the NRA web site since they aren't "sanctioned" by NRA any more.  One that's fairly close to you that comes to mind is our match at Bedford, VA, much closer than NY!  We shoot AP on the first Saturday of most months, excluding December thru February.  The time schedule may present a problem for you since we shut down sign-in at 10:00 AM.  According to my search of Google, it's ~3.5 to 4 hours from here to you, so you'd have to "get up with the chickens" as we say out here in the hills! LOL  We shoot all 4 Bianchi events if everything is up and running as is usually the case.  We dropped NRA sanctioning a few years back when they stopped listing our matches in the magazines.  As recently as 2019 we had hosted both State and Regional Championship AP matches here for 10 years and were the 2nd largest participation behind only Bianchi in the nation.  Our range was the first in the US to have a mover on rails and we drew some of the best shooters in the country including the USAMU.  Our next match is this coming Saturday, 1 July 2023, as I write this.  We'd love to have you come shoot with us!!

Thanks Alan. Bedord is a hike, but only a little further than Chambersburg PA, so very doable (I always wake up with the chickens!). 

Do you have a website when I can view the upcoming schedule?

Also, do you allow 22 rimfire?

Edited by Bill Schwab

Thanks for the reply, Bill.  Our web site is: www.bedfordrrc.org and the shooting schedule is on there updated monthly.  Yes we do allow 22 rimfire.  If it's in the NRA AP rule book, we shoot it.

2 hours ago, TheSouthernMarksman said:

Check out www.shootactionpistol.com 

I’m trying to get matches added to the calendar - but I have them all linked to the clubs hosting matches that I know about. 

Thank you! Bookmarked.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:44 AM, Alan550 said:

Bill, There are other matches that don't appear on the NRA web site since they aren't "sanctioned" by NRA any more.  One that's fairly close to you that comes to mind is our match at Bedford, VA, much closer than NY!  We shoot AP on the first Saturday of most months, excluding December thru February.  The time schedule may present a problem for you since we shut down sign-in at 10:00 AM.  According to my search of Google, it's ~3.5 to 4 hours from here to you, so you'd have to "get up with the chickens" as we say out here in the hills! LOL  We shoot all 4 Bianchi events if everything is up and running as is usually the case.  We dropped NRA sanctioning a few years back when they stopped listing our matches in the magazines.  As recently as 2019 we had hosted both State and Regional Championship AP matches here for 10 years and were the 2nd largest participation behind only Bianchi in the nation.  Our range was the first in the US to have a mover on rails and we drew some of the best shooters in the country including the USAMU.  Our next match is this coming Saturday, 1 July 2023, as I write this.  We'd love to have you come shoot with us!!

IMO this is the best AP range in the country.

But i do have a little bias.

It is a phenomenal place with outstanding people that i really miss

All

Back in the day Alan and I worked together to produce a full list of AP matches nationwide that even, on occasion, included some from overseas. The idea was to make www.gvshoot.com, the birthplace of AP, the go-to site for Action Pistol. Sadly, after stepping down from running the events at GV, this stopped. Alan may still have access to all of that, if not I can try and get some archived info from GV to add to this new web site.

GrantJ

All

Back in the day Alan and I worked together to produce a full list of AP matches nationwide that even, on occasion, included some from overseas. The idea was to make www.gvshoot.com, the birthplace of AP, the go-to site for Action Pistol. Sadly, after stepping down from running the events at GV, this stopped. Alan may still have access to all of that, if not I can try and get some archived info from GV to add to this new web site.

OK, just took a quick look, here is the link to the archives, lots of really good info, enjoy... :) Green Valley Discipline / News Archives (gvshoot.com)

GrantJ

• 3 months later...

So sad to see the demise of this type of shooting.  Grew up shooting it every month.  It was nice having the Monthly, State and Regional matches in your backyard.  Sadly, Dad got MS and then passed away in 2010.  I left after college and was never in driving distance to a match.  I hope CMP can find a way with a resurrection for the sport.