Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another "Mags Wont Eject" Thread

SDchillin

Ok so I've been reading about this on here on and off for an hour or so and have been tinkering with some of my 75 variants but I can't figure this out. I have one SP01 that just does not like my Mecgar mags. It's very sluggish ejecting them with the slide forward, but when the slide is locked to the rear it will not eject the magazines at all and they need to be stripped from the gun.

I changed the mag brake on this gun recently because it didn't want to drop any mags free. The OEM one I removed is pictured on the left and the replacement one I used is on the right (I'm hoping it's not the issue, got it from Stoeger's shop, here is a link.) It now works fine with my CZ OEM mags, but it just does not like the Mecgars. I saw @rowdyb suggesting in another thread that you could do some sanding on the inside of the grip to allow for the larger dimensions of the Mecgars but that sounds like a last resort to me. Is there any chance my magazine release spring could be causing this? 

One other thing worth mentioning, even though this gun now releases the OEM magazines consistently, they seem to eject with much less power compared to other 75 variants I own. I'm trying to learn to work on these things myself so please don't be scared to educate me on what should be the obvious... 

I've included pics of all the relevant parts: the mags, the magazine brake and the magazine release spring from a couple different angles. Please let me know if you would like to see anything else, thanks!

Side view 1.jpg

Magazine Brake 2.jpg

Trigger Spring 1.jpg

Trigger Spring 2.jpg

Edited by SDchillin

I see rub marks on the upper rear of the mags, whats it hitting on ? Look for burs at the top of the frame, Take the  slide off then try them, you can also pull the mag catch and see if the drag on anything without the catch installed. 

I'd recommend a thorough cleaning first.  You've got quite a bit of carbon buildup on the trigger bar and likely in the magazine well.  I tend to hit mine with a toothbrush with some isopropyl on it after every few range sessions and it comes out pretty dirty.  Go in from the bottom then in through the top.

Also similarly, a rag (old tshirt is decent) with a spritz of isopropyl and wipe down the outside of the magazine body.  I wipe mine off every range session, but mine hit the ground often too.

Your mag brake selection looks right.  My SP01 had the old "mag-brake" style with no cuts on the sides.  That one is actually designed to retain the mag for stowing rather than dropping.  I swapped that out with the cut version and they drop free for me, even totally empty.

One more thing i think i'd try is to make sure your magazine release button is fully depressing the catch.  Could be that it's just not getting out of the way enough and dragging.  Look down from the top with the slide off and make sure it's going all the way in when the button is pressed.  Check that with your usual grip, you're able to press it in enough too.

I'm guessing the issue happens with or without the grip panels on, from your pics, so that pretty much eliminates them as a culprit.

Looking at the pics of the mag release spring it does look like it might be making contact with the mags. Are there any wear marks on front of the mags? Like nkresho said it could be you are not pressing on the mag release enough or it might be a bit bigger due to bad casting and not being fitted properly at the factory. Looking at the pics where you can see the mag catch it does look a little bigger than the one I have. Are there any marks on the mags on the catch side? The mag release springs on CZs are heavy and because I have a weak right thumb I wasn't happy about changing hand position to push it in even with an extended mag release. After looking around and asking someone told me about the Eemann Tech lighter mag release and now I have one on most of my CZs. You might want to try one of them.

4 hours ago, Redhemi said:

Looking at the pics of the mag release spring it does look like it might be making contact with the mags. Are there any wear marks on front of the mags? Like nkresho said it could be you are not pressing on the mag release enough or it might be a bit bigger due to bad casting and not being fitted properly at the factory. Looking at the pics where you can see the mag catch it does look a little bigger than the one I have. Are there any marks on the mags on the catch side? The mag release springs on CZs are heavy and because I have a weak right thumb I wasn't happy about changing hand position to push it in even with an extended mag release. After looking around and asking someone told me about the Eemann Tech lighter mag release and now I have one on most of my CZs. You might want to try one of them.

@Redhemi I also think it may have something to do with the mag release spring at this point.

That Eeman Tech mag release sounds interesting, I've had a few injuries/surgeries on my thumb and the mag release is not as easy to depress as it used to be. That being said, none of my other 75 variants seem to give me this same issue.

Here are some better pics of the magazines and the wear they are currently showing.

Mags (back).jpeg

Mags (front).jpeg

Mags (left.1).jpeg

Mags (Right).jpeg

Edited by SDchillin