Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 slide locks up during recoil help please

MidnightRider

Hello I'm experiencing my slide locking up during recoil I cannot slide the slide forward I have to beat my optic backwards the gun has an approximate round count of 2000 rounds this started being in a frequent thing now it is happening every couple of magazines does anyone know what could be happening.

Check for rough spots or machining marks on the surfaces where the slide fits the frame.  If you have them, burnt powder could be getting in there and it might be enough to lock it up.  Being that you've put 2,000 rounds through it, this seems unlikely, but you never know.  Another possibility (which I hope isn't the case) is a cracked slide.  If the slide is cracked, it could be flexing enough in recoil to jam up.

So it's binding while ejecting the brass? Sounds like it stops 1/2 way back?  How does the barrel look? Any bulges or anything?  Disassemble and go over the slide frame and barrel really carefully.  Look for anything out of the ordinary. 

1 hour ago, MidnightRider said:

It maybe goes back 1/4 inch. Im only shooting factory ammo through this gun

Mine is doing the same thing. It locks up just as it’s extracting a fired case. It locks up with the safety in the up position even though I’m riding the safety while firing.

Very intermittent and in the beginning I could disengage the thumb safety manually and free up the slide. Now I have to use something to tap the safety down to free up the slide. Thumb pressure cannot disengage the locked up safety. 

So far I’ve replaced the thumb safety with an extended left side, still happens. I replaced the left detent spring 31 and it still happened and now I have replaced the left safety detent with a new one and will have to test fire. 

Unusual thing is my spare S2 with CZC parts doesn’t lock up. Only the S2 with Cajun parts lock up. Maybe the adjustable sear???

43 minutes ago, HI5-O said:

Mine is doing the same thing. It locks up just as it’s extracting a fired case. It locks up with the safety in the up position even though I’m riding the safety while firing.

Very intermittent and in the beginning I could disengage the thumb safety manually and free up the slide. Now I have to use something to tap the safety down to free up the slide. Thumb pressure cannot disengage the locked up safety. 

So far I’ve replaced the thumb safety with an extended left side, still happens. I replaced the left detent spring 31 and it still happened and now I have replaced the left safety detent with a new one and will have to test fire. 

Unusual thing is my spare S2 with CZC parts doesn’t lock up. Only the S2 with Caj

un parts lock up. Maybe the adjustable sear???

My man my saftey was up tonight the time I noticed tonight. I have Cajun parts

1 hour ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Your slide stop might have too much meat on it. Look inside the ejection port with a round loaded in the mag and see if it is touching the slide stop

My issue is not with the slide stop. The thumb safety kicks up when firing even when I’m riding the safety. After getting the safety to the off position it pulls the fired case the rest of the way out. Then it acts like nothing happened. 

Ah I read the title of the thread wrong.

Something is catching. Next time you go shooting you could try filming it happening and then playback in slow motion. Try with stock sear to isolate the issue.

1 hour ago, MidnightRider said:

My man my saftey was up tonight the time I noticed tonight. I have Cajun parts

Is the slide stop broken? Common problem with Shadow 2s.

Also if safety is on the slide will not cycle on my Shadow 2s with CGW pro kit (adjustable sear, hammer and such). Don’t know about stock gun because I never ran it in that state.

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

Is the slide stop broken? Common problem with Shadow 2s.

Also if safety is on the slide will not cycle on my Shadow 2s with CGW pro kit (adjustable sear, hammer and such). Don’t know about stock gun because I never ran it in that state.

The slide stop is good. It happens just after firing, the slide moves back about 1/4-1/2” and the safety is forced up to the safe position. It’s apparently wedged up against the slide rail and safety cannot be moved down by thumb pressure and has to be tapped down with something (had to use the magazine) to tap the safety down to free up the slide. Slide pulled to the rear and an empty case is kicked out. 

All is good until it happens again. 

With Cajun parts kit and the adjustable seat, the thumb safety can be applied with the hammer down. The CZ Custom parts kit doesn’t allow the safety to be applied if the hammer is down. 

7 hours ago, HI5-O said:

It’s apparently wedged up against the slide rail and safety cannot be moved down by thumb pressure and has to be tapped down with something (had to use the magazine) to tap the safety down to free up the slide

There shouldn’t be anything pushing the safety up as the slide cycles.  Did you check the little spring loaded clips inside the gun which hold the safety in place?  The left side has a spring to hold the entire bar in a place and the right has to be installed with the safety actuator. 

Edited by HesedTech

18 hours ago, HesedTech said:

There shouldn’t be anything pushing the safety up as the slide cycles.  Did you check the little spring loaded clips inside the gun which hold the safety in place?  The left side has a spring to hold the entire bar in a place and the right has to be installed with the safety actuator. 

Yes, I replaced that spring with the #31 spring from Cajun. I just replaced the detent with a new one and will have to try it out and see if the gun doesn’t lock up again.