Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold

gunner40sw

I just picked up 4000 Montana Gold 125 gr JHP 9 MM and I want to use VV N320 powder and I was thinking about 3.5 gr which puts me about right in the middle of the load data. I just will use it for practice ammo.  Anyone using this combo have any past experience with this.

14 hours ago, gunner40sw said:

I just picked up 4000 Montana Gold 125 gr JHP 9 MM and I want to use VV N320 powder and I was thinking about 3.5 gr which puts me about right in the middle of the load data. I just will use it for practice ammo.  Anyone using this combo have any past experience with this.

3.5g of N320 works great with a 147JHP; however, as @Sargeadvised, the 124/125g JHPs will like at least 4.0 - 4.2 depending on OAL.......

👍

6 hours ago, gunner40sw said:

But VV lists the Max load for a 125 gr JHP at 3.8 rains

They list the Max load for 115 grains at 4.0

As many have stated over the years.......you have to take these book values "with a grain of salt" as they are being shot out of a 4" test barrel and always express conservative data.

Scroll up in the VV data to a 124g Alsa Pro FMJ @1.142" OAL and you see max for N320 at 4.5g!

Always start with YOUR gun/barrel at YOUR preferred OAL, and test with a chrono while looking for pressure signs from your brass/primers.

Also compare data in other publications.

👍