Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SL Variants vs. Jet Loader vs. Comp III for a K-Frame

matteekay

Has been covered before? Probably. But we don't have a ton to discuss in this forum and this is probably the first time in a while that all three are available new. 

I'm eyeing a potential hop to SSR in IDPA next season so I'm setting up a K-Frame as a speedloader gun. I've used Comp III's in the past and like them, both stock and modified, but I've never tried the SL Variants or the Jet Loader. The concepts all seem similar but I'm sure there are small details im missing...

What do you all like/dislike about the other two when comparing them to the Comp III? Are they worth 2x-3x the price?

I like Jet the best. I have a bunch of Comp 1,2,and 3 and one Jet. I had the Safariland ones first and like them too, but they seem to wear out over time. Also, the Jet one seems to have a more positive latch and launches the ammo into the gun. I never could seem to find any more Jets. I'll use the Safari ones till they crap out. They are still working after 30+ years. Never had SL Variant, so don't  know anything about them.

Had all 3. Gave the Jets away, sold the SL’s and kept the comp3s. Faster, most consistent, cheap. You can cut them, fill the hole or use a screw. Even stock they’re faster than SL’s in my testing. 

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

I like Jet the best. I have a bunch of Comp 1,2,and 3 and one Jet. I had the Safariland ones first and like them too, but they seem to wear out over time. Also, the Jet one seems to have a more positive latch and launches the ammo into the gun. I never could seem to find any more Jets. I'll use the Safari ones till they crap out. They are still working after 30+ years. Never had SL Variant, so don't  know anything about them.

https://www.pistoleer.com/jetloader/

10 minutes ago, MWP said:

Had all 3. Gave the Jets away, sold the SL’s and kept the comp3s. Faster, most consistent, cheap. You can cut them, fill the hole or use a screw. Even stock they’re faster than SL’s in my testing. 

A million years ago I did the full suite of mods to a set (filled the pin hole, removed the tabs, removed the sleeve, etc) and I never thought they were any faster than my unmolested ones. Do you usually do all that?

17 minutes ago, matteekay said:

https://www.pistoleer.com/jetloader/

A million years ago I did the full suite of mods to a set (filled the pin hole, removed the tabs, removed the sleeve, etc) and I never thought they were any faster than my unmolested ones. Do you usually do all that?

Naw. I stick an Allen head screw in the hole and call it a day. Can adjust it to ammo length. I can go 1.6 in practice. Didn’t figure I needed to worry about cutting anything if I could do that. 

3 hours ago, MWP said:

Naw. I stick an Allen head screw in the hole and call it a day. Can adjust it to ammo length. I can go 1.6 in practice. Didn’t figure I needed to worry about cutting anything if I could do that. 

That makes sense. I have a few months to get this gun sorted so I'll experiment with a few Comp III's. To your point - they're cheap enough to mess with.