Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New MPA DS9 LO Comp

HOGRIDER

It's in the house!  

My OCD had me waiting a few days on the perfect mounting screws for the SRO and some MBX Extreme springs/followers; but finally got a chance to get to the range for testing/sight-in.  After my initial safety tests/shots and RDS sight in,  I got ~100 rounds of factory 124g & 115g rounds downrange.  Not the first issue/problem/disappointment. Function was perfect with the factory loads; and my test loads off the bench.  I verified a 9# RC spring from the factory.  Ejection was ~4:00 at 4ft. 

Bench resting during sight in with factory ammo I had on hand showed it liked the 124g over the 115g.  Of course I have not loaded any 115g so couldn't go there;  however, the last couple of groups I tested were with my existing match load of N330 and PD 124JHPs.  I think these will do for now............  ;)

Welcome any constructive comments and/or questions!

Got a LOT OF PRACTICE ahead of me to get ready for my first match next month; but my love affair of the 1911/2011 platform has been rekindled!!!!

😁

Display01.png

Awesome review. I will be doing an extensive ammo test with video in a couple weeks. 

the thing I think is most peculiar is at the last two matches that I've shot with my LOC the first round fired on the first stage has actually distracted me due to the fact that it's so soft ...lol

Where did u get that stand,?

2 minutes ago, waynes_world_45 said:

Awesome review. I will be doing an extensive ammo test with video in a couple weeks. 

the thing I think is most peculiar is at the last two matches that I've shot with my LOC the first round fired on the first stage has actually distracted me due to the fact that it's so soft ...lol

Where did u get that stand,?

Thanks Wayne!  I still need to test the Black Dot and then finalize everything in the Ransom Rest; but I was so shocked that my current match load did so well in this initial bench test!  At least I can settle in with that load until I find time to do further testing.  I also want to video/test some return to zero drills and see if I need to try a +/- RC spring.

The display stand?  If so, it's the LOK Grips offering.  They have some nice stands that actually display the pistol with the slide horizontal!

https://lokgrips.com/gun-stands/aluminum/gun-stand-raw-aluminum/

I'll definitely be looking out for your extensive ammo test!  I'd sure like to hear the details of your process/procedures!

Thanks again!

👍

19 minutes ago, mandiesel said:

Beautiful DS! Did you buy it off the shelf or have it built? 

If built…. How was the actual lead time compared to their estimate at time of order ?

I actually ordered a DS9 Hybrid on February 7, and then switched my build to the LO Comp once they announced it.  Their web page shows current time 14-16 weeks.  My LOC was ready to ship in the 13th week.

I definitely wanted a specific list of options and coating combination; so I ordered one.  For those looking to purchase "off the shelf" Shooter's Connection in KY is a Platinum Dealer.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Complete-Firearms/2011-Pistols/2011-9mm-Limited-Gun

Thanks for the kudos!

:)

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

Thanks for posting the review and pics.  I’m excited to receive mine.  This will be my first 2011.  

I too switched my order to the LOC, and David said it wouldn’t affect the build date.  I placed the order March 1, so should be receiving it soon.  

Which grip texture did you select, and do you like it?  I prefer aggressive and went with the S3, which I’ve read reviews of being a cheese grater.  

26 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Thanks for posting the review and pics.  I’m excited to receive mine.  This will be my first 2011.  

I too switched my order to the LOC, and David said it wouldn’t affect the build date.  I placed the order March 1, so should be receiving it soon.  

Which grip texture did you select, and do you like it?  I prefer aggressive and went with the S3, which I’ve read reviews of being a cheese grater.  

Since I have "retired" hands, they aren't as tough as they once were.....so I chose the S2.  It's plenty aggressive for me.  

May want to do a personal assessment of what you've been used to; and if you have any doubts, discuss it with David.  I feel you could send the pistol back, while it's in new condition, and have the grip swapped if your not 100% satisfied.

I share your excitement on waiting for it to arrive!  You'll love it!

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

On 5/29/2023 at 8:17 AM, HOGRIDER said:

Since I have "retired" hands, they aren't as tough as they once were.....so I chose the S2.  It's plenty aggressive for me.  

May want to do a personal assessment of what you've been used to; and if you have any doubts, discuss it with David.  I feel you could send the pistol back, while it's in new condition, and have the grip swapped if your not 100% satisfied.

I share your excitement on waiting for it to arrive!  You'll love it!

👍

Thanks for the advice.  I contacted David yesterday and we agreed that the S2 would be best for me.  Wasn’t too late to change my order.  

Thank you for this, def made me feel much more confident in my order. I just ordered the MPA DS9 open as my first open gun to test the waters and currently waiting. I was curious if you have ran it in comp yet and if there is anything you dislike about it?

• 3 months later...
On 6/10/2023 at 10:48 PM, Bmb2578 said:

Thank you for this, def made me feel much more confident in my order. I just ordered the MPA DS9 open as my first open gun to test the waters and currently waiting. I was curious if you have ran it in comp yet and if there is anything you dislike about it?

@Bmb2578Not sure if your addressing your question directly to me;  but if so, I now have 5 local matches using the LOC and the fit/function is excellent!  Being a LONG TIME student of the 1911/2011 platform, of course there "were" some things I disliked; but I have rectified those issues and the pistol is definitely exceeding my expectations!

IMO, if you have previous experience with custom competition 1911DS/2011 type pistols, you'll be in a better position to fully appreciate the Open you've ordered!  

I too plan on having an Open pistol in the future!  😉

Good luck with your pistol; and I'm sure shooters here will like hearing your experiences!

👍👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

5 hours ago, 808matt said:

I’m also interested to see how you’ve liked this pistol so far and how that match you mentioned went for you. 

@808mattAs a Distinguished Senior that's been away from active USPSA competition for a LONG TIME, I'm now in my second year; and my first year of shooting a Red Dot on this awesome 2011 platform. 

As I mentioned in my post above, there were some changes I made to suit MY personal preferences on the LOC and it's running better than when I received it!  

I can definitely see improvements in my match results; especially after my changes.  Hope to get at least another 3-4 matches in before the season ends; but I'm having a ball and for me that's most important!

HTHs!  

:)

6 minutes ago, redbarron06 said:

Do you shoot any matches in the central or central/western end of the state?  It would be great to get together at a match.  Im in the Clarksville area of TN so the other side of KY.

Unfortunately, I haven't made it into TN.......yet...!  I would like to experience the ORSA outside of Knoxville; maybe next year!  

👍

That would be about 6 hours for me.  A bit far for a level 1.  I think Bluegrass is where Tim Herron is having a class in April that I am planning on going to.  So far I have only done 2 level 2 matches other than my normal level 1 locals.  Next year I plan on branching out though.  I was going to go to ALA lasts weekend but the time line didn’t work out with work.  Next year I plan on doing at least TN, AL, and KY sectionals and maybe the area 5 up in Ohio.  I finally got my RO so I am trying to get some work in to volunteer for Nationals.  I wonder where LO will fit in, I guess in race gun.  

5 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Good luck with your plans!

If Tim is in Lexington next year, I will do my best to get in that class!

👍

Just double checked Apr 20+21.  Not sure what the rules are here yet so I wont risk getting in trouble posting a link to something like that but you can check it out on his web site.

5 minutes ago, redbarron06 said:

Just double checked Apr 20+21.  Not sure what the rules are here yet so I wont risk getting in trouble posting a link to something like that but you can check it out on his web site.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hope to see you there!  

👍