Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate zero?

Cowboy_Ninja

Found myself with a few mikes this weekend on longer shots… I’m zero’d at 17 yards with my czechmate. At 25+ tho I seem to be hitting almost 4-6 inches high. Seems odd to me. The obvious answer is zero at 25. Just baffled me. Was curious if this is a thing?

my shadow 2s are all zeroed the same way and seem to be all the way out to 25.

Edited by Cowboy_Ninja

I zero mine @ 25.  With the C more I had to adjust the farther away I shot as the C more sits so high.

Switched to the side mount and got the sight much closer to the barrel.  For me a big improvement overall and seems to be much less sensitive to distance.

Zero distance is always a tradeoff of where you want your sweet spot to be (say roughly Point of Impact = Point of Aim +/- 1in) vs how large you want that sweet spot to be/what targets you want it to cover. 9 Major trajectory is pretty flat out to 50yds so with your 17yd zero and the ~3in height over bore of the CMore you'd expect:

-3in at point blank 

0 at 17yds 

+3in at 34 yards

+6in at 51yds (probably slightly less since around 50yds you start to get meaningful drop)

Your +/- 1 inch sweet spot with a 17yd zero is ~11-23yds, so you'll have to remember to hold over/under outside that range. a 25yd zero would give you a sweet spot of ~16.5-33yds, so you'd need to remember to hold over for some technical closer targets (headshots, tight upper A-zone targets), but basically all longer-distance shots will fall within the sweet spot. I believe the longest distance on a classifier is 35yds and I'm not sure I've ever seen a longer shot than that in Major match. 

Switching to a lower mount and MRDS makes things a lot easier. With the CZC mount and MRDS of choice the bore offset is ~2in, so the sweet spot with a 20yd zero is 10-30yds 

On 5/22/2023 at 9:12 PM, Cowboy_Ninja said:

Found myself with a few mikes this weekend on longer shots… I’m zero’d at 17 yards with my czechmate. At 25+ tho I seem to be hitting almost 4-6 inches high. Seems odd to me. The obvious answer is zero at 25. Just baffled me. Was curious if this is a thing?

my shadow 2s are all zeroed the same way and seem to be all the way out to 25.

It would be very helpful to know bullet weight, style, velocity and brand of sight.