Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDM front sight help

SIGcurious

For the life of me I can't get my SDM sight to install on my 627.  Anyone know a trick that I'm missing?  I've installed other DX sights, but this one seems impossible.  I think because of the length of the actual sight.  My fingers are tore up!

• 3 weeks later...

Typical.  I always knock off the sharp corners on the base of the sight with a file until it finally pops into place.  The other option is to drive out the retaining pin and remove the spring and plunger, install the sight and hold it in place and reassemble.  

I had the same problem, took my Brownells .055 front sight pin punch and pushed the plunger in as far as it would go, drop the sight in and retract the punch and it seated like it's supposed to, worked for a couple of hard sights.

Another thing I also started using was a small machinist vise, about an inch-inch and a half wide, tape the jaws and clamp the sight in the vice, gives you some more meat to hand on to and work the sight blade.

You need to leave enough room on the sight to rock the vice & sight into the groove.