Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Advice & Critique 9mm 124 GR RN AA7

SPINGE

1 hour ago, SPINGE said:

The bullet is the same. Using your advice I ended up with 1.15 for the bullet I'm running. Today I shot the old batch 124 plated RN, 6.5 grs AA7, SPP, COAL 1.15, again flawless with no unburnt. I loaded some new rounds with 124 plated RN, 6.6 grs AA7, magnum primer (what I had due to shortages, batch of standard in the mail) at 1.15 and got some unbunrt. Puzzling but it was less. Luckily the 1.13 was a small experimental batch that I didn't go crazy with cranking out! Thanks for your help! Haven't tried any new powders yet.

It sounds like you're on the right path. 

When you get a chance try out that Bullseye or Red Dot that you have on hand, I think you'll like the results. Report back when you do to let us know how it went.

Cheers!

13 hours ago, SPINGE said:

Ya, the powder may be too old. I have the other powders and some Titegroup is on its way to me. Disappointing as I have quite a bit of the AA7.

So you’re saying you’re using the same power that you loaded the originals with? Nothing wrong with old powder as long as it’s been stored properly. I thought you were loading new with new powder and having the problems. I would almost bet it’s the bullet pull difference. I’ve run into the exact same situation as you. A old load shoots dime sized groups and you can’t replicate it with new loadings.

It seems that that small batch of AA7 I was using was a bit off. I used some other AA7 and loaded up some with the old formula and hope that they run the same, the steel macth over the weekedn the load was on point. I am hoping to get into another match of some type this weekend and since the old formula worked I want to give it another go. I also loaded some rounds with TITEGROUP since I have heard lots of good things. Running the TG with a 124 RN at 1.15" above 3.6 grs and have another small batch at 3.8 grs. I actually ended up finding more powder including Win 231, VV N310, two bottles of TG, Varget, and a couple IMR powders whose numbers I do not remember off hand. 

Thanks for all the help and advice, I will keep everyone appraised of the situation with the new batch of AA7 and with the TG test groups. I can't wait to shoot this weekend!

-SPINGE

Glad to hear that it's working out for you Spinge. If you want to make minor comfortably then you'll probably need to be around 4.0gr but if that doesn't matter and you're getting good ejection at 3.6gr have at 'er.

Cheers!

Edited by 4n2t0

On 5/27/2023 at 5:48 PM, 4n2t0 said:

Glad to hear that it's working out for you Spinge. If you want to make minor comfortably then you'll probably need to be around 4.0gr but if that doesn't matter and you're getting good ejection at 3.6gr have at 'er.

Cheers!

Ya, I have heard a lot of guys like running 4.0. I will likely try and go lighter for Steel Challenge and load up some 4.0 for USPSA. I will use up the 3.6/.8 in other games or for training. Thanks for all your feedback 4n2t0!