Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What percent of points?

J_Allen

11 hours ago, J_Allen said:

If the above analysis is correct, then let’s assume a competition is shooting Revolver minor (which is mostly everybody in Revolver). The person shooting at a 3:1 ratio would have to be over 2% faster overall to beat someone shooting at a 4:1 ratio. That difference decreases at the top, where in a hypothetical National Championship level competition shooting between 6:1 and 7:1 of the points, the winner is being decided be a 0.7% speed difference. This makes sense to me as smaller amounts of time make bigger differences at the top level (as it becomes much more difficult to trim time anywhere).

Now this is where stage points and different hit factors come into play. If the entire match was the same hit factor then yes- your above example works.

In revolver the hit factors will usually vary from 2-3 up to 8-9 depending on the match. This is a huge determining factor in gaining, or giving up, points during the course of a match. While the times never seem to show huge discrepancies between competitors- specifically at the top- there can be if the risk is thrown out the window. In almost every stage in major matches, the fastest time can easily have 10% or more cut off of it if caution is disregarded. This isn’t as possible in other divisions because all the other divisions have significantly lower risks than revolver, and automatically shoot closer to the maximum possible hit factor.  

Edited by MWP

I’m starting to understand a little better, and probably didn’t explain myself perfectly before. I do aim at the A zone, but my personal acceptable sight picture sometimes has the dot making a linear streak, and not a single dot in the center of the target. If I wanted to raise my A:C ratio from 3:1 to 4:1 or higher I certainly could, but the time cost to make the dot settle would hurt me more than it would be worth.

On 6/7/2023 at 6:57 PM, J_Allen said:

If I wanted to raise my A:C ratio from 3:1 to 4:1 or higher I certainly could, but the time cost to make the dot settle would hurt me more than it would be worth.

You may want to try this on a timer and see what the timer actually says.

It may be skill level or personal perception dependent but here is an example. A friend and I were practicing with our open guns and getting bad hits on a set of 3 close targets because we were accepting too much, we got mad and started making ourselves see the dot in the A for all  6 shots on this array, it felt like it took lots of time to see the dot enough to know it was an A for every shot but the timer said it didn't. 

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

it felt like it took lots of time to see the dot enough to know it was an A for every shot but the timer said it didn't. 

This is 100% the paradox of "going fast", i have heard more than 1 world beater explain this exact phenomenon.

It is a cliche to say on an enos forum, but you see what you need to see, EXACTLY, and not a pixel more, then shoot immediately.