Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first USPSA DQ

nkresho

On 5/10/2023 at 3:05 AM, HesedTech said:

Here's what a GM told me when I started, "The load and make ready as well as the unload and show clear belong to you. No time limits, no pressure, so take your time and don't **** them up."

This.

Take your time, it's not a race. Both loading and unloading - make it slow, deliberate, safe.

• 2 months later...

My first match with my Czechmate, earned me a go-home-early prize. Trigger finger was on the side of the trigger and when I did my reload slam, that 1.75lb trigger did what it was supposed to, and I sent one over the berm. 30+ years of shooting and that was a first for me. Now my finger naturally finds the tip of the slide release lever as the safe-spot for reloads and 15+ matches later.. we're all good.

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2023 at 7:25 PM, flyinverted said:

My first match with my Czechmate, earned me a go-home-early prize. Trigger finger was on the side of the trigger and when I did my reload slam, that 1.75lb trigger did what it was supposed to, and I sent one over the berm. 30+ years of shooting and that was a first for me. Now my finger naturally finds the tip of the slide release lever as the safe-spot for reloads and 15+ matches later.. we're all good.

this exact thing happened to me. easy to do on an S2! just trying to be speedy and my trigger finger was straight against the trigger gaurd area, not up and out of the way. had some rub with the side of the trigger and it went off on me

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 3:21 PM, nkresho said:

Afternoon all,

Figured i'd shame myself a little here as it's the right place to do it.

Shot my fifth match today and made it through two stages before it happened...

Per the rules, 10.4.3 

10.4.3 A shot which occurs while loading, reloading or unloading a firearm. This includes any shot fired during the procedures outlined in Rule 8.3.1 and Rule 8.3.7.

Shooting a shadow 2 in carry optics.  DA/SA, so after loading the hammer must be lowered before the first shot.  No decocking lever, so it has to be done by hand.

I went to make ready and as i always do, drew the pistol, aimed downrange and toward the ground, inserted a full mag, racked the slide to chamber the first round, and went to decock the hammer.  Pistol remained aimed in a safe direction, at the ground maybe 8-10' in front of me, downrange.  As i went to decock, one of two things happened.  I either pinched the hammer too weakly and it slipped midway through or i let it fall (while pinched) too quickly.  I can't recall exactly which happened.  The slide did not (that i recall) hit me in the hand or fingers, although playing it backward in my head i'd think it would have.  I do pinch the hammer making the "OK" sign with my hand and my other fingers tend to be around and above, but not touching the slide.

Regardless, i let one slip while making ready.   It sucks, and is totally my fault.  I am very happy i always am very conscious of my muzzle direction during this procedure as it does include my finger touching the trigger so that the hammer will be able to be (gently) dropped.

I've practiced this method hundreds if not a thousand times with no issues.

Point-forward, i will obviously be ultra cognizant when decocking.

Live and learn.

Thanks for listening.

Ugh that sucks, but, I'll bet it doesnt happen again.