Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Trigger Revelation

twix

Videotaped at match last weekend. Two Masters were in my squad shooting Glocks in production class (I don't really know why, don't ask). It was very obvious upon review of the video that one of them is a trigger slapper. I remembered a previous comment he had made about a CGR trigger not being necessary....Light Bulb! Here's the revelation: If you are a trigger slapper, you probably won't benefit that much by taking your Glock trigger to it's finest edge. But  if you are one who preps for the next shot by keeping your finger in control of the trigger and only allowing it to reset, let's call this a "trigger resetter", you may well find a great deal of benefit in a very nice trigger job for your Glock. Am I onto something here or chasing vapor?

twix,

I can't pass on this opportunity to push your buttons.  poke.gif

I know you get pretty engrossed in this debate...I gotta ask why?  If this other shooter can shoot at the Master level with his Glock and his trigger...well, he obviously doesn't need anything else?  Why sweat it?

You may be onto something with the triger slapping thing...then again, TGO slaps his trigger.  And, he is likely in as much control of his trigger as anybody.

Flex I think you missed my buttons and my point. The point- if you are a slapper, a really finetrigger is of little consequence, if you are a resetter a really nice trigger is a greater benefit. My button-arrogance. And what are ya doing even mentioning my name in the same post with TGO? Although I did beat (shot less worse) than 3QT Sunday.

You can still be a trigger slapper, therefore not noticing the "fine edge" of your trigger when hosing targets at 5yds, but you will appreciate the lighter & less moving trigger at 50yd targets.

First of all, we don't want to limit the "reset" of the Glock trigger do we?  The full factory reset is important because of the striker safety plunger activation.  The rearward travel is where we can gain speed by loosing finger movement.  If your finger stops sooner, it can start to go foward sooner and fire the next shot.  We're not talking much here, maybe the difference between .15 and .13 splits.

Speaking of Robbie and trigger control.  If you have the tape "IPSC secrets" watch TGO on the stage with the automobile and gas pumps.  He's shooting an open gun.  Lenny Magil does a good job of showing Robs run at full speed, then he shows another angle where you can clearly see Robs finger slapping the trigger.......but here's the catch.....he doesn't do it all the time.

In slow motion, you can see his finger as he shoots plates.  There's not much slapping going on there. Then he moves the muzzle to a paper target and fires off a two quick shots.  This is where his finger comes clean off the trigger!  His quick split shots.

As I see it, your finger can move much more quickly if you're not worrying about trigger reset.  Just move that finger back and foward as quickly as you can without disturbing the sights too much.

When shooting small plates, it pays to slow down a bit.  I believe this "slowing-down" is interpreted by the mind which tells every fiber of your body to almost go in slo-motion.  This translates to a slower moving trigger finger on the reset stroke which makes it less prone to come all the way off the trigger.

A lighter, less moving trigger is still the best way to go, even if you slap.

twix,

I think you benefitted from the "Glock Advantage"...(not worrying if you gun will break, or if the new parts you put in will work...allows us (Glockers) to focus on the shooting).  cool4.gif

Back to your point on the trigger thing.  You might be on to something...I don't know.

I know that when I first got a race holster, my draw times improved quite a bit.  Now, I can go nearly as fast out of Fobus (the difference isn't as great now that I, the shooter, have progressed).

I think I had the same progression when I started with regards to my Glock trigger.  The stock trigger was certainly a negative.  Now that I have learned and my skill level has progressed (thanks Team Ancient), the Glock trigger is likely less of a factor.  I do, however have my personal preferences (it would take a bit of dry-fire for me to adjust back to a 5lb. trigger).

For the record...I am a "trigger resetter"

The idead of being one or the other is a little limiting in my opinion.

If we are shooting in the moment, we'll hit those close close ones hard and fast, slap it good, then squeeze very carefully those 15 yd mini poppers.

I probly slap pretty good on close ones, but I do pay close attention to the reset on long shots.

This was made very clear to me lately as our local bowling pin match has begun placing pins at 45-50 ft.

(trigger control!!!!)

Sorry to butt in on the glock talk, but it's an interesting topic.

BTW, with e-muffs I can hear Flex releasing the trigger before every shot in practice. We had to analyze that for awhile...

SA

BTW, with e-muffs I can hear Flex releasing the trigger before every shot in practice. We had to analyze that for awhile...

I am still exploring that some.  

We were shooting for accuarcy at the time (mostly).  I have found that just going to the reset also helps my speed on plate racks at 11 yards as well.

I've always thought that the lighter an action breaks, the less opportunity a shooter would have to disturb the sight alignment prior to breaking the shot.  Seems this would hold true for any handgun, Glock or otherwise, and for shooters who slap the trigger, and those who don't.  My $0.02.

• 2 weeks later...

BS? Thanks Steve! A nice trigger does seem to help the accuracy, especially as the range increases. Especially for a newbie shooter like me. I have amazed myself at how accurate my Glock is and I'm really not too good. I have helped a few shooters even rawer than myself with a simple Glock trigger job(polish, lighter striker spring,3.5 # connector) and their improvement in accuracy is immediate and sustained.