Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Casefeeder - why not .30 Carbine?

Hello, new member here with a new 550 case feeder.

My kids bought me a case feeder for my 550B for Christmas.  Just getting around to setting it up now and will try it out on 9mm soon.

But thinking ahead, I load .30 carbine on my 550 and wonder why Dillon claims that you can't run it through the case feeder?  Case length and head size are compatible (or very close) with other cases that you can.  Sorry if this has been addressed before, the search function turned up nothing and I went back a year through this forum.  I wanted to ask here before I called Dillon with the same question.

As long as I'm asking stuff, will I have to disconnect it if I want to load other rifle rounds?  It looks like that will be tough to ger I case in with it hooked up.  Thanks!

The system for casefeeder on 550 will be in the way of manually feeding so you may have to remove drop tube and the assembly on the press but the case feeder itself can stay

3 hours ago, 84Jim said:

Dillon claims that you can't run it through the case feeder

Do you mean the DAA Mini case feeder?  If so the diameter of the feed tube is probably too small for the 30 carbine. Did you try dropping one down it with the 223 tube?

46 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Do you mean the DAA Mini case feeder?  If so the diameter of the feed tube is probably too small for the 30 carbine. Did you try dropping one down it with the 223 tube?

No, its the Dillon:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/s000221

They say rifle cases are too tall, but the .30 is about the same as .357 Mag and shorter than 300 Blackout, which are both OK.  A case drops thru the tube just fine.

Height is not an issue. Primarily, we never machined a station One locator compatible with the rim dimensions of the 30 M1 Carbine case. It doesn't interchange with anything else we already offer, and based on conversion kit sales, it isn't popular enough to justify offering one.  Case diameter might be small enough that the plunger fails to push the case completely into the shellplate with the existing cam also.

22 minutes ago, dillon said:

Height is not an issue. Primarily, we never machined a station One locator compatible with the rim dimensions of the 30 M1 Carbine case. It doesn't interchange with anything else we already offer, and based on conversion kit sales, it isn't popular enough to justify offering one.  Case diameter might be small enough that the plunger fails to push the case completely into the shellplate with the existing cam also.

Thanks for the explanation.  Do you think it is an obstacle that couldn't be overcome?  I guess that the biggest question is: would the small rifle casefeed plate pick up the carbine cases?  If so, could the best fit Sta. 1 locator and case feed adaptor be used, perhaps with a fabricated shim of some sort to get the case entirely into the shell plate?

30 Carbine rim diameter is 0.360 and case length is 1.290.

10 hours ago, 84Jim said:

They say rifle cases are too tall, but the .30 is about the same as .357 Mag and shorter than 300 Blackout, which are both OK.  A case drops thru the tube just fine.

Dillon has explained it, however someone may have come up with solution or after market fix. I have the DAA on my 550C, which is why I asked.

Use the small pistol case feed plate with one spacer washer underneath it. The 300 Blackout case feed adapter would probably work. You could probably modify the case feed adapter with JB weld epoxy, by partially filling in and building up the alignment groove. You might have to use JB weld to glue a piece of shim stock to the face of the plunger. 

23 hours ago, dillon said:

Use the small pistol case feed plate with one spacer washer underneath it. The 300 Blackout case feed adapter would probably work. You could probably modify the case feed adapter with JB weld epoxy, by partially filling in and building up the alignment groove. You might have to use JB weld to glue a piece of shim stock to the face of the plunger. 

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.

Is the "small pistol" Sta. 1 locator part #14223?  Also, what is the purpose of the spacer under the Sta. 1 locator?

Hesed Tech,

the empty 223 case is tall enough that the case runs into the depriming pin as it is being pushed into the shellplate.  Some users have modified the cam and otherwise modified the parts to attempt to make it feed 223 cases, however, after our testing we determined it wasn't reliable enough to sell to our customers. 

• 3 weeks later...

For info only: All respect to Dillon Reps advice.

I installed a case feeder on my 450 and it works great for 223. I did remove the powder safety bracket since I'm using the Hornady linkage and a Redding powder measure. Removing that bracket would lower the shellplate a bit.