Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Max seating depth?

ColoradoNick

Its totally fine and workable to load bullets shorter. Some profile 147's load out just fine at 1.12 as some people stated. 

MY issue is that things get weird like we've seen over the last 2-3 years. Suddenly your nice profile 1.12" loading bullet is out of stock for 8 months and you're stuck with a new profile that needs to be far shorter, and some powder that seems questionable at the new oal. Its a hassle. 

Get it reamed once for a reasonable cost, and just load absolutely anything out to 1.130". 

3 hours ago, OnePivot said:

Its totally fine and workable to load bullets shorter. Some profile 147's load out just fine at 1.12 as some people stated. 

MY issue is that things get weird like we've seen over the last 2-3 years. Suddenly your nice profile 1.12" loading bullet is out of stock for 8 months and you're stuck with a new profile that needs to be far shorter, and some powder that seems questionable at the new oal. Its a hassle. 

Get it reamed once for a reasonable cost, and just load absolutely anything out to 1.130". 

What powder get "questionable" at a new, often shorter, OAL? In fact, even compressed loads are often very accurate. Also, why not just load absolutely anything to 1.08? I understand if the round doesn't chamber because of some weird case bulging situation but it seems that shooters are just plain scared of short(er) OAL's which seems odd to me.

Don't take my word for it...

compressed.png

Edited by 4n2t0

8 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

What powder get "questionable" at a new, often shorter, OAL? In fact, even compressed loads are often very accurate. Also, why not just load absolutely anything to 1.08? I understand if the round doesn't chamber because of some weird case bulging situation but it seems that shooters are just plain scared of short(er) OAL's which seems odd to me.

Don't take my word for it...

compressed.png

244 was my latest. 

124gr plated lists min at 4.0gr, 1.150. Lcn 125gr 4.1gr max at 1.125. Both .356.

Not a huge deal. Zero problem dumping 4.0gr in with a random 124gr at 1.120. Its close enough to extrapolate enough to trust hodgdons data. 

But then your 124gr needs 1.070 to plunk... How far do you go down to start? 

It's not an impossible problem or anything. Work up, test some rounds, regular stuff. But from my own experience doing exactly this, I was further off what I expected to get with this combo than with almost anything else, and I wasted time and range trips. It was questionable. 

So I reamed all my guns, got zero downside what so ever, and I can load any bullet to whatever I want and get more predictable results. 

Sometimes powder runs out and I get stuck with a bunch of bulky WST and I'm compressing loads anyway, at 1.125". Just nice to have room, and there's no downside. 

Especially now that I already have a reamer, reaming it costs me just a few minutes in the garage. 

Edited by OnePivot

Got both my Shadow 2 barrels back from Patriot Defense after having them ream them. Headed to the range to verify accuracy right now but reloading shouldn't be an issue anymore. Blue 147 RN's went from a Max OAL of 1.08 to 1.16. The 147gr Acme FN's I'm trying were 1.19. I worked up a few different loads trying 1.15 and 1.13 for now.