Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Powder Measure system for a Hornady LNL?

Speedwagon

I'm currently using a Hornady Powder measure system in my Hornady LNL progressive press. At times the linkage will loosen and will get sloppy. I've locktited some but just don't like all the linkage. I'm wondering if the Dillon Powder Measure system will work. It looks like it will but wondering if anyone else is using one in the Hornady press. 

Also wondering if anyone has found any other powder measure system that works in the Hornady press. 

I don’t have much experience otherwise but I have no problems with my holiday set up. I do make it a habit before a reloading session just to check those damn screws and make sure they’re tight. But I’ve never had a problem with it loosening up in the middle of a reloading session

On 3/4/2023 at 7:11 AM, Zachjet said:

I don’t have much experience otherwise but I have no problems with my holiday set up. I do make it a habit before a reloading session just to check those damn screws and make sure they’re tight. But I’ve never had a problem with it loosening up in the middle of a reloading session

This, Hornady LNL powder measure is very good. But things loosen up after awhile and need to be tightened. I just make it a habit to check every so often.

There are a few things I check before I start loading and linkage fasteners is one but like I mentioned in my post, adding Loctite has kept things snug. 

Also as I mentioned...I just don't care for the linkage and wondering what there is available that doesn't use said mechanism to drop powder. Thanks. 

The dillon might need some extra mods to get the anti double charge mechanism to work, but you can use any powder measure really. I really like the Lee auto drum, just burnished the drum and sliding surfaces with some graphite powder and it works well, consistent. But adjusting flare on the Hornady one is pretty easy, and lots of other presses use that same one, including the Apex, RCBS, Lyman even. 

I hadn't thought about the Lee, I'll look at them.

I don't use the flare feature, instead use a Redding flare die that I like better. 

I didn't realize the the Dillon had an anti double charge mechanism, will look into that too. For now I've been using an RCBS Lockout die to prevent double charge and no charge and thinking about a Double Alpha Powder Check. 

Thanks for the info! 

It's not so much an anti double charge thing, but rather it's a linkage that requires a full return stroke to put the powder bar back to fill up with powder. If you flare separately, then I would say the Lee. I know Lee has a reputation for being a little fiddly, but the autodrum is very simple, and I found very consistent.