Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Pull Weight

PeterParfinik

In the past I have always opted for the lightest reliable trigger pull that kept the gun safe and operating correctly, sub 2 lbs. Now I am completely rethinking that methodology and increasing both the weight of my guns and trigger pulls.

I find that the 3-4 lb range gives such a positive break, reset, and overall reliability to most guns that I shoot. 

just curious what others are currently doing?

All of my centerfire and rimfire guns have 2 lb. 2 oz. trigger pulls, except one.  My 4" XD has a 3.5 lb. pull.  

If you have done your trigger job correctly, a 2lb. pull will give you a clean, sharp break and a tactile reset.  If you use top components, it should last at least 50k.

All the 9mm and 40 S&W autos that I've worked on have 2-3 lb. trigger pulls and are reliable and have a positive break.  It usually only took changing some springs and a few minor parts to get there.  Revolvers and 22LR's are a different story.

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, PeterParfinik said:

In the past I have always opted for the lightest reliable trigger pull that kept the gun safe and operating correctly, sub 2 lbs. Now I am completely rethinking that methodology and increasing both the weight of my guns and trigger pulls.

I find that the 3-4 lb range gives such a positive break, reset, and overall reliability to most guns that I shoot. 

just curious what others are currently doing?

Hi Peter

2-2.25lbs is what I like.  Some of it is what you practice with - keep them as close to the same.  

Trigger pull is just one aspect.  I have the positive reset of the JP triggers.  It pushes my finger back to the ready position.  

heavier guns.. well that is another thread.  On the rifles, I think there is something about being too light 🤓

steve