Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal torque value for RDS screws?

Zahnarzt

1 hour ago, Zahnarzt said:

Can someone give me the recommended/ideal torque value for screws that secure a red dot sight?

If you mounting to a plate, some plate manufacturers will recommend a torque value. I go 15-20 inch pounds on the SRO to a CHPWS plate. I mounted a RTS2 on my aluminum optic mount on my open gun at 20 inch pounds. All mounted with medium strength thread locker. 

That’s a very loaded question. Careful of accepting random feedback. 

It’s going to vary based on the screw size. 4-40 and 8-32 would have very different requirements. 

And if you’re using something like Loctite… keep in mind it’s a lubricant for the threads until it’s set. So always back off a few in-lbs to account for it. 

A reference chart: https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Torque of Stainless Steel, Non ferrous Torque.pdf

Edited by Dirty_J

Short answer 15” pounds is good with all size screws, check torque with every major cleaning so there is never an issue. 

15 inch pounds will be good for any size even with Loctite. I keep a torque driver in my cleaning kit and just re check the torque on the sight screws with every major cleaning. So about 1k rounds. Which is a lot but this is a gamer gun. On my carry gun I just check in when I lube it which is usually the same time I clean my competition gun depending on if I shot it at all. 

8 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Some good install/torque value recommendations from respectable business!

https://chpws.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/MRDS-Mounting-22_MAY_2020.pdf

👍

Some good advice in there. VC3 is far superior to any Loctite products for these applications. 

Anyone that’s not varying torque values based on screw diameter and use of thread locking compounds is asking for trouble. 

Now if only they (C&H)  could get back to making their plates to proper specs and QC. 

3 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

Some good advice in there. VC3 is far superior to any Loctite products for these applications. 

Anyone that’s not varying torque values based on screw diameter and use of thread locking compounds is asking for trouble. 

Now if only they (C&H)  could get back to making their plates to proper specs and QC. 

👍👍

• 2 weeks later...