Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at building a compact Carry 2011; SVI 113mm mags in a chopped staccato grip?

JoeyMac

I’d like to put together a compact 2011 specifically for carry.  I’m primarily looking at a staccato or Cheely grip on a Brazos or JEM slide and frame set. A round butt C2/VIP grip would be decent, but I noticed SVI makes 113mm mags.  As cool as the SVI compact carry grip is, it’s got a pretty hefty price tag around $750+ with options… 

So I was thinking that using a 120 mm C2/VIP grip chopped to use SVI 113mm mags would be half the cost and lighter.  People chop/notch out full size grips for 120mm mags all the time… So what’s to stop me from chopping a 120mm grip for 113mm mag’s?  Does an SVI mag work in a VIP (gen1) or C2 ODS (gen2) grip?  If not, why not; what else needs modified to make it work?

I’ve seen varying reports of compatibility of SVI mags in STI/staccato/Cheely/etc grips.  I’m not sure which to believe or if it’s a generational thing or what’s compatible and what’s not. Worst case scenario I guess would be to just shorten some regular 120/126/140 staccato or MBX mags tubes to 113mm… it shouldn’t be THAT hard.  But I’d rather just buy a couple quality 113mm mags and then carry 140’s for reloads.

I’ve already got on order a Wilson eXperior (X9 double stack 2011ish frame); no need for a CS/C2.  

I mean based on approximate   measurements, it should be doable to chop an ODS or VIP frame for 113mm SV magazines (assuming SV mag tubes ACTUALLY fit and function otherwise in current staccato or gen1 STI frames)… and it could be clean looking too.

MS Paint showing a 7mm cut on ODS grip.  

A5BE423F-9ACD-4AF1-B274-77E339AF3CB4.thumb.jpeg.c08f22309a4b1a0dac7f94faebf2ffd3.jpeg

Edited by JoeyMac

I used to toy with the idea of 113mm mags in an STI for a IDPA CCP gun but never did follow through with it. After I got a C2 I fell in love with the grip size and magwell and just decided to run it in ESP.  That being said, I believe it is possible to make it work. Worst case scenario is you ruin the original grip and then reward yourself with an expensive but awesome SVI grip.😁

……or add up the cost of all the parts, finishing, your time/labor and then compare it to a factory SVI build.  Another member of this forum did this and ended up ordering from SVI.

• 2 months later...

I have one that was built for me, chopped down to fit flush w 113mm SV mags but they don’t lock back which is kind of expected from that brand. MBX mags will lock back in the same gun but don’t fit flush.

I might try to mess with some follower options and see if I can make the 113mm lock back, not too big a deal to me but if I can make it work, all the better