Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100 Index Misaligned

New to the RL1100. The shellplate was previous aligned, however I manually moved it, which I learned from... Now every time I have the handle in the up position after completing a stage, the shell plate looks like this (not aligned with stage). When I pull the handle down thereafter, it promptly corrects as the two large pins go into the shell plate. I've tried manually correcting this, but the shell plate now continues to land like shown in the picture after a completed pull of the handle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

A8-E7-EC96-C94-F-4364-A8-D7-7112-F0090-C

If this is something that has been gradually occurring more and more often then it MIGHT be an issue with the eccentric drive stop adjustment at the rear of the main frame or just an accumulation of gunk. The press may just need a good cleaning.

See Chapter 9 in the manual for adjustment.

The manual implies that this item is preset and shouldn't need adjustment. I have found that to not be true.

If this is something that has come on suddenly then it is probably due to something interfering with the indexing.

How many rounds do you have through the machine?

When was the last time it was cleaned and lubricated?

This needs to be figured out. Forcing the indexing to complete by virtue of the index pin is not a recipe for success.

Some things that can cause an indexing problem:

1. The index roller bolt #13086 is subject to getting bent. It may not be obvious to the naked eye.

2. Similarly the index lever bolt #13276 can get bent.

3. The index ball and spring can get gunked up. They need to be kept clean.

4. The index lever pawl might need replacing after an extended period of time.

5. The lock ring #20311 can be too tight.

Probably some other things that don't come immediately to mind...

Edited by ddc

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 10:41 AM, ddc said:

If this is something that has been gradually occurring more and more often then it MIGHT be an issue with the eccentric drive stop adjustment at the rear of the main frame or just an accumulation of gunk. The press may just need a good cleaning.

See Chapter 9 in the manual for adjustment.

The manual implies that this item is preset and shouldn't need adjustment. I have found that to not be true.

If this is something that has come on suddenly then it is probably due to something interfering with the indexing.

How many rounds do you have through the machine?

When was the last time it was cleaned and lubricated?

This needs to be figured out. Forcing the indexing to complete by virtue of the index pin is not a recipe for success.

Some things that can cause an indexing problem:

1. The index roller bolt #13086 is subject to getting bent. It may not be obvious to the naked eye.

2. Similarly the index lever bolt #13276 can get bent.

3. The index ball and spring can get gunked up. They need to be kept clean.

4. The index lever pawl might need replacing after an extended period of time.

5. The lock ring #20311 can be too tight.

Probably some other things that don't come immediately to mind...

Thanks for the info. This is brand new. It has less than 200 rounds through it. 

11 hours ago, Orion1 said:

Thanks for the info. This is brand new. It has less than 200 rounds through it. 

Ok. So probably not a cleaning or lube issue. (As time goes by I would recommend following Dillon's cleaning/lube directions.)

For a brand new machine with indexing issues I'd suspect there is a problem with the position of the eccentric drive stop at the rear of the machine.

Or the shell plate lock ring is too tight.

Check chapter 9 in the manual for details on adjusting the drive stop.

For the lock ring notice that there is small cut out in the main frame next to the case feed mechanism.

Insert a feeler gauge into that space and tighten the ring until you have 0.020" clearance.

You can start a little looser to diagnose whether that is the problem and end up a little tighter but that should be a ball park figure that will work.

If the machine is operating correctly then the shell plate should snap into place with some authority.

You want the location of the shell plate to be determined by the movement of the index lever.

You don't want the shell plate "dragged" into position by either the index ball/spring or the indexing pin.