Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

QUESTION ABOUT SLIDE LIGHTENING.

Tony_manana

Some CZ's were over the weight limit imposed by USPSA or IDPA (now changed), slide lighting was a way to make max weight.

Some feel a lighter slide causes loss muzzle flip, i.e. slide hitting frame at full recoil and again going into battery.

Some just like THE LOOK.  It can also give better grip when manipulating the slide.

I'm sure there are other reasons.

I'm planning on having my A-01 milled for an optic, at that time I may have some COOL LOOKING slide cuts done.

8 hours ago, Tony_manana said:

Is there some way of calculating?

Yes, the equations of motion based on newtonian physics.  Usually stuff learned in the core engineering curriculum during freshman year at university. 

However, I seriously doubt anyone who has had it done and anyone who does this kind of machining does any calculations other than how much to cut to make weight.

3 hours ago, Tony_manana said:

Thanks for the answers guys, i know about remowing material to fit in specific Class in us, but i was mainly thinking about why they remove on openguns. 

Jonny, say im not newtonian formula smart, how do I calculate?

Unless you have a mechanical engineering background (like a degree and practical experience) you're not going to be able to figure this out.

Sorry, but that's just how it is.  If it was so easy that I could give you some equations, there would be no need for a course in engineering mechanics in college.

Not only do you need to understand the formulas, you need to also know how to model the system accurately for the answer to make any sense.  Most of the textbook examples you'll find deal with very simple, unitary bodies.  Not a handgun that has one half that remains stationary in your hands and another half that reciprocates above your hands.

The majority of shops who do these slide cutouts are run by gunsmiths and machinists.  They usually don't have the education and experience to make these calculations and just figure things out by trial and error.

If you really must know, start here: https://www.toppr.com/guides/physics-formulas/angular-momentum-formula/

5 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Unless you have a mechanical engineering background (like a degree and practical experience) you're not going to be able to figure this out.

Sorry, but that's just how it is.  If it was so easy that I could give you some equations, there would be no need for a course in engineering mechanics in college.

Not only do you need to understand the formulas, you need to also know how to model the system accurately for the answer to make any sense.  Most of the textbook examples you'll find deal with very simple, unitary bodies.  Not a handgun that has one half that remains stationary in your hands and another half that reciprocates above your hands.

The majority of shops who do these slide cutouts are run by gunsmiths and machinists.  They usually don't have the education and experience to make these calculations and just figure things out by trial and error.

If you really must know, start here: https://www.toppr.com/guides/physics-formulas/angular-momentum-formula/

Thank you sir, after reading at your link i realised im not that smart, so i must not know at that level, but after some more research i came to the easy answer that its done to make felt recoil more manageble.

Thanks for the help guys

I had my first Shadow 2 milled for an optic when the max weight limit for CO was 45 oz.  At 46-47 oz, the gun was already overweight to begin with for CO (circa 2018 rulebook).  But, since I was shooting it in Production at the time and really liked the platform I bit the bullet and had the slide milled for the optic (SRO) and to reduce weight.  Came in at 44.1 oz w/ optic and empty mag installed.  When I set my second Shadow 2 up for CO, this was AFTER the weight limit was raised so had the option of not doing the slide lightening.  However I had the second Shadow 2 milled with the same slide lightening cuts bc I liked how the lighter gun felt and wanted to keep them both the same.

The cuts look cool, but they do tend to bite the hand if you rack from the front of the slide.  I think I mostly use my optic as a slide racker these days…. 

I would recommend Fire 4 Effect in TX to do the slide milling for the RMR/SRO footprint but unfortunately they went out of business at the end of 2022.  

1 hour ago, 2MoreChains said:

I had my first Shadow 2 milled for an optic when the max weight limit for CO was 45 oz.  At 46-47 oz, the gun was already overweight to begin with for CO (circa 2018 rulebook).  But, since I was shooting it in Production at the time and really liked the platform I bit the bullet and had the slide milled for the optic (SRO) and to reduce weight.  Came in at 44.1 oz w/ optic and empty mag installed.  When I set my second Shadow 2 up for CO, this was AFTER the weight limit was raised so had the option of not doing the slide lightening.  However I had the second Shadow 2 milled with the same slide lightening cuts bc I liked how the lighter gun felt and wanted to keep them both the same.

The cuts look cool, but they do tend to bite the hand if you rack from the front of the slide.  I think I mostly use my optic as a slide racker these days…. 

I would recommend Fire 4 Effect in TX to do the slide milling for the RMR/SRO footprint but unfortunately they went out of business at the end of 2022.  

I understand why you guys do it , all good reasons.

But since i run my s2 i ipsc open major and read something about removing material on slide equals less felt recoil - i milled it a bit. Not for looks, but to make it lighter.  Then afterwards i wanted to know how, and how to decide where to mill and how much to remove etc , I know its the wrong order, but i am eager to learn. 

Im in europé, so I cant use companys stateside.

At last but no least:

I am very happy for all you guys trying to answer my question, thats the reason i like this forum - People takes their time and actually tries to help.

Thanks alot guys!!

You do not have to lighten the slide on an Open gun if you don't want too.  It will just cycle a tad slower.  I shoot with a guy who had his gun made before lightening because common.  The gun is 12-15 years old and runs like a top.

I have all my 1911 and 2011 Open slides lightened to 10.5 oz.  I have metal removed where it is not necessary, and none in the important areas.  It reduces reciprocating mass.  I spring accordingly.

19 hours ago, zzt said:

You do not have to lighten the slide on an Open gun if you don't want too.  It will just cycle a tad slower.  I shoot with a guy who had his gun made before lightening because common.  The gun is 12-15 years old and runs like a top.

I have all my 1911 and 2011 Open slides lightened to 10.5 oz.  I have metal removed where it is not necessary, and none in the important areas.  It reduces reciprocating mass.  I spring accordingly.

Great, I want it to cycle faster (even though i probably wont know if i got better performance out of it)  milled mine to 293grams (including bushing, extractor/spring and firing pin/spring, retainer and charging handle) gonna test out springs when it gets warmer.