Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most accurate load for S&W 625?

Cherokeewind

33 minutes ago, Cherokeewind said:

Thanks for all the input.

Not loading to a PF but do want a load that has "factory like" recoil impulse.  Got some more test loads made up, waiting for better weather for testing. 

CW:

First I ever heard of a fella trying to duplicate factory recoil impulse in conjunction with accuracy.  The recoil impulse goal may be the real challenge since factory loads normally use powders not available to the public.  

BTW -- any specific load development technique you are using?   Any specific apparatus to keep the revolver steady?  

Always ready to pick up a new idea or technique.

GG

I have a Nikon 2X pistol scope mounted on the 625 and am firing from sandbags from a sturdy bench, shooting 25 yds. at a black 1 1/2" square aiming point which has a white center about 1/2" square.  Holding the cross hairs in the white center of the black square. 

The 625 is "almost" motionless but the cross hairs stay inside the white square as each round is fired slowly using single action trigger pull.

This is the same technique that I have used with other S&W revos to develop loads that give 1'" groups at 25 yards; also used same process to fire 15/16" groups from open sights on G4 G21 using Hornady Critical Defense factory loads.

Edited by Cherokeewind
added info.

1 hour ago, Cherokeewind said:

I have a Nikon 2X pistol scope mounted on the 625 and am firing from sandbags from a sturdy bench, shooting 25 yds. at a black 1 1/2" square aiming point which has a white center about 1/2" square.  Holding the cross hairs in the white center of the black square. 

The 625 is "almost" motionless but the cross hairs stay inside the white square as each round is fired slowly using single action trigger pull.

This is the same technique that I have used with other S&W revos to develop loads that give 1'" groups at 25 yards; also used same process to fire 15/16" groups from open sights on G4 G21 using Hornady Critical Defense factory loads.

CW:

Nikon 2X, eh.  Am looking for a pistol scope for this purpose.  Will take a look at it or similar models. 

What differences in charge weights do you use?

Are you using a ladder technique to find the optimal load?  Not sure if handgun shooters use that technique.

GG

When I really want to stay on target with a scope I make my own targets. I use a white piece of paper and simply draw a black L on it so the width matches the cross hair at the distance I’m shooting at. That way you are perfectly lined up each shot. As far as loads I kinda pick the velocity I want and pick what comes close then go from there. 

6 hours ago, Farmer said:

When I really want to stay on target with a scope I make my own targets. I use a white piece of paper and simply draw a black L on it so the width matches the cross hair at the distance I’m shooting at. That way you are perfectly lined up each shot. As far as loads I kinda pick the velocity I want and pick what comes close then go from there. 

FM:

What ever is the most comfortable for the eye to see.  I prefer the targets CW uses.  Just find it easier for me to quarter a white circle with a thick duplex than try to hold a X Y axis.  

Don't even want to think about load development.  Has always turned into a quagmire with me.  I do it until I realize I am spending more time pole vaulting over mouse turds than enjoying myself shooting so I stop screwing around with it and select the two best loads and then shoot both for score. 

With my revolvers, I would probably evaluate the two best loads by shooting both off a rest at a 25 Yard rapid fire target at 25 yards.  Minimum score would have to be 95% unless I called a shot outside the 9 ring and it went to my call.  Then I may throw it out and shoot another.  Five strings of ten per load.  Toss out the lowest string and take a look at the groups and scores.  Intuition may tell me to take the one with the most X's and maybe not.  Have to look at the groups.  If things are real close, run a simple ANOVA and make a decision.  May push it to fifty yards just to see what happens.

Tedious, time consuming, resource intensive, but statistically it is a pretty good technique.

Still do not want to go through it.

GG