Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Hogdon Clays Bad For .40 S&w?

PistolPete

I was talking with someone last night and we were talking about reloading. I have an SV .40 limited gun that I'm experimenting with light target loads and steel loads. When talking with him I mentioned I was experimenting with Clays and he said he read somewhere that one of the Clays powders was causing problems for some people in .40 S&W. He said he thought he heard that it was causing peoples guns to blow up. Does anyone know any more about this topic?

+1 to Rocket35.

In addition.... I'll save you a little work, and say, look at Titegroup, Universal Clays, N320, WST, instead.... Those powders are going to give you a safer load with more margin for error...

I use N320, myself, after trying Titegroup and WST...

There are some who use straight Clays in .40 MINOR (at their own risk, of course), and I have an (older) Hodgdon reloading pamphlet that actually has a Clays load for 180 grains at SAAMI OAL.

Time was that, for the old 175 PF, people were loading 200 grainers long over Clays. THAT definitely was a high pressure load and there were some blowups.

Minor is possible, but, L.A.Y.O.R. (load at your own risk B) )

I currently use N320 in my IPSC major loads but was looking for something to make MINOR steel loads. Someone recommended using Clays so I thought I would try it. Then talking with someone else who mentioned my gun might blow up using Clays I thought I would post something. I did do a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Pete

Maybe I'll just download my N320 charges or try Titegroup.

but was looking for something to make MINOR steel loads.

Pete,

Clays is great for .40 minor (it's what I use), but as previously stated, it's not the best choice for .40 major...

What charge to use is going to depend on what bullet you're using and your COL. I use a 3.0 gr charge for a 180 gr jhp with a COL of 1.135". It's about a 132PF which works my G22 quite well with a 12lb spring. That should give you a reference at least...

Regards,

Todd

• 4 weeks later...

Try clays for minor loads . Works great. Clays will not blow up your gun unless you do something wrong.(double charge or bullet set back). I load 3.3 grs of clays with a 165 jhp zero bullets for my XD in production. Very soft recoil.